Upgrading early 2009 model iMac to SSD

Discussion in 'iMac' started by global1981, Jun 15, 2012.

1. global1981 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have an early 2009 model 24' iMac.
    It came with a 210GB hard drive and 4GB RAM.
    I want to make this beast faster!

I'm just a little concerned about compatibility as I have no idea about hardware!
    I'm thinking of purchasing:
    a) OCZ VERTEX 3 SATA III 2.5" SSD VTX3-25SAT3-240G
    b) 2x 4GB RAM ? (No idea about brands!)

Can anyone suggest what SSD (around 240GB) and RAM (2x4GB) I should buy?

Thanks heaps for your time,
    Ben

2. chaleyer macrumors newbie

chaleyer

While not quite an iMac story, I've just upgraded my wife's mid-2009 MBP 13" with a Crucial M4 240Gb SSD, as well as doing 8Gb memory last week and it is now very sweet.
    I did exactly the same SSD into my 15" MBP 12 months ago and have been very, very happy with it. Work requires that I sometimes run 2 x W2K8 servers in Fusion, and they are a huge improvement over the previous 7200rpm 500Gb HDD.
    I ordered the 8Gb memory from MacFixit in Oz, but can't tell you what brand it was.
    Good luck with yours. You can't help but be happy.

3. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

I upgraded to 8GB RAM in mine about a year or so ago...I think I ordered it from Crucial. It's running great and gives more headreoom for virtual machines in Parallels.

I'm waiting on the new Mini's to be announced before I get a new machine (don't want an all in one any more)....if it looks like it's going to be another year, I might put in a SSD to tide me over, but for now (since I don't have a new machine and don't know any better) my iMac seems speedy enough for most of what I do.

4. carl0sian macrumors regular

Can an early 2009 iMac run dual SSDs in RAID? All the info I've read so far says that the main HDD can be replaced by certain brand hDD due to the heat sensor. What SSD would be worth purchasing for this iMac? Samsung or Crucial since its an older machine and may not be SATA III.

Thanks in advance