Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sendaii

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2011
So I'm trying to upgrade the memory in my iMac that I bought in early 2011, before the last refresh. It seems like there are 4 memory slots, but the standard build unit you get from Apple only comes with 2 slots full (2x2gb). What would be the best way to upgrade my memory? I'm thinking I want to double it at least, but I'm not to sure how to proceed since this would be my first time upgrading anything with the Mac lineup.

I hear it's pretty simple to actually upgrade the memory. But picking which brand is best, and which configuration is a little daunting so any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

zarf2007

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2010
London, UK
So I'm trying to upgrade the memory in my iMac that I bought in early 2011, before the last refresh. It seems like there are 4 memory slots, but the standard build unit you get from Apple only comes with 2 slots full (2x2gb). What would be the best way to upgrade my memory? I'm thinking I want to double it at least, but I'm not to sure how to proceed since this would be my first time upgrading anything with the Mac lineup.

I hear it's pretty simple to actually upgrade the memory. But picking which brand is best, and which configuration is a little daunting so any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

best way is to add an additional 2 x 4GB to make a total of 12GB. Thats enough for most things you want to do and your not wasting/removing the existing RAM....see here:

http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=CEB1ACF0A5CA7304

$45.99

The upgrade is simple and does not void the warranty, simply remove two screws on the flap at the bottom and insert the memory.

J&JPolangin

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2008
Close to a boarder, in Eu
I have the HP DM4 laptop in my sig that came with 2x2Gb of the same kind of RAM that's in the iMac's so it was easy to upgrade my laptop to 2x4Gb and use the two sticks from the HP in my iMac and as long as they were both 10600 speed they were compatible.

For the cost of one upgrade I was able to get both machines up to 8Gb of RAM.

will waters

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2011
Great Britain
Go onto the crucial web site, download the system scanner, and this will make sure you get the right ram, it is fairly heap as well.

I did this last year, with my iMac and it has got 12gb of ram, and I used crucial

Sendaii

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2011
Thank you guys for the help. I'll look at the Crucial website and get some memory :)

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Hi.

Is it possible to mix memory sizes? The iMac comes with 2x2GB. Can I upgrade with, say, 4GB and 8GB in the remaining slots?
Based on prices... buy a pair of 4GB memory modules and off that's not enough memory, buy a second pair and replace the original memory.

Note you need to keep the Apple memory in case of any AppleCare/warranty service.

NunoBerny

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2012
Lisbon, Portugal
Based on prices... buy a pair of 4GB memory modules and off that's not enough memory, buy a second pair and replace the original memory.

Note you need to keep the Apple memory in case of any AppleCare/warranty service.

I was asking because my last (non Mac) computer balked when using different sized memories.

I don't really need that much memory, just want to know if there's a clear solution if/when the need arises.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I was asking because my last (non Mac) computer balked when using different sized memories.

I don't really need that much memory, just want to know if there's a clear solution if/when the need arises.
Okay, the iMac supposedly supports mismatched memory like you outlined. Best performance is by using match pairs. And right now 8 GB (2 * 4 GB) is only $45. A single 8 GB module is currently noticeably more in price.

Also 8GB memory modules while they may work are not officially supported by Apple.

I would opt for best performance.

josh1231

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2010
Hi.

Is it possible to mix memory sizes? The iMac comes with 2x2GB. Can I upgrade with, say, 4GB and 8GB in the remaining slots?

I second the fact it works. I have 12GB in mine right now.

I don't know if having the mismatched pairs slows it down or not, however having 12GB vs 4GB has been a huge performance increase, especially with parallels.

Make sure you get 1333 DDR3 SODIMM's though, not 1066.

As far as brand goes, I don't know it really matters. I bought the cheapest I could find, however that being said the price difference between no-name brand and crucial is $18 vs $25, so if it worries you pay the extra $16.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.