Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

salmoally

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2012
Seems like far too much effort to upgrade every year. I'd rather use till it becomes a hinderance than keep it as a spare if the new one has to go in for repair.

jcpb

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2012
If you can claim the upgrade losses as a business expense, do it.

If you can claim that on your tax returns, just do it dangit.

If you have lots of money and/or care about "keepin' up with the Joneses", what else can I say.

Now, if you tend to upgrade systems once every few years, no.

sk8r1230

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2010
Indiana
This update will be my third time moving to new models. This time I spending the money and getting it built the way I want. Won't be selling this one till it craps out

Camwin

macrumors regular
May 24, 2012
You're obviously losing money, as the depreciation, no matter how low of a percentage, is still below the price you paid. Therefore people should focus more on the additional productivity value they would get from this "extra cost" over anything else. Personally, the extra cost is more than worth it for extra time in a warranty, being ahead of the curve technically (I'm a developer / consultant) and to keep the hardware fresh (it gets thoroughly battered). The annoying thing regarding Apple however is that people loyal to the brand will put this price on the extra image they'll get for having the latest product. So people would often assume (like my colleagues) that I'm just some 'fanboi', which is a moot point.

As long as the new machine offered extra productivity for me personally, I wouldn't really care how much value the old machine had lost.

Not losing money, at all. If you actually read the thread I gave a perfect example that was worked for me for 6 gens now. Never sold for less than 500 off what I paid for it. And once more if you do the math, 500 dollars every year for 4 years is 2000, where as buying what I want straight out would be more than 2600.

theBostonian

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
I have the early 2011 high-end MBP which I got with a student discount so only paid £1571 for it (instead of £1849).

Should I wait until the new MBPs come out before I sell it or start looking for buyers now?

Also, would £1400 be a fair price?

88 King

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2011
London, UK
I have the early 2011 high-end MBP which I got with a student discount so only paid £1571 for it (instead of £1849).

Should I wait until the new MBPs come out before I sell it or start looking for buyers now?

Also, would £1400 be a fair price?

eBay normal have free insertion weekend, just listed it for free with £1500 price for as long as possible. You will get people offering cash in few days, so just find an acceptable price (i.e. £1400) and do the deal with the buyer outside eBay. That is how I sell expensive electronic gears.

jcpb

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2012
Not sure on the price, but unless you still need to use what you have, start looking for buyers now instead of later. When the new revision arrives, it will be harder to sell the older stuff without significant mark-downs.

Newtype

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2011
Vancouver BC
How might I ask? I've been using the method I described above for years now and I'm losing less money then if I was upgrading every 4 years instead.

You're forgetting to factor in the value of your time that is being wasted trying to sell your old machine. There's also the time value of money.

I mean, if you absolutely need the latest machine and/or enjoy the process of selling and getting the latest apple product, go ahead I have nothing against it. But do not justify base on the fact that you're not losing anything, because that's certainly inaccurate.

DOUGHNUT

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2006
im questioning what's the value of upgrading every refresh. unless you are doing heavy duty work like A/V editing that requires heavy CPU load, the amount of money you end up spending cannot possibly justify the marginal improvement in performance. even if you could purchase on student discount for ex, the amount of tax you pay per unit (and the amount of fees you end up paying on the resell market on ebay for instance), you end up losing a couple hundred dollars per year which certainly adds up year to year.

for me, my thinking is AppleCare covers the MacBook Pro for 3 years. Apple typically comes out with a major refresh/redesign every 3-4 years (take MBP for ex, last major design change was in 2008) upgrading every 3 years makes sense for me. My 2009 MacBook Pro with 2.26 C2D has held up pretty well over the past 3 years. sure, there are faster MacBook Pros out there, but i never really stopped and thought my MBP was too slow that it's unusable (other than gaming).

in the end, how you spend your money, that's up to you. for me, it's definitely not worth the effort.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Well here is a scenario.
This assumes that you could resell at 80% every year. Also assumes you are buying about the same level machine each time - in this case a $1499 13" MBP.

Bob purchased a 13" MBP (actually it would have been a aluminum MB then) for $1499 in 2008
Bob kept it for ~4 years and then sold it for $600
Bob purchased a new 13" MBP in 2012 for $1499
$1499 - $600 + $1499 = $2398.

Fred purchased a 13" MBP for $1499 in 2008
Fred sold the 2008 MBP for $1200 in 2009.
Fred purchased a 13" MBP for $1499 in 2009
Fred sold the 2009 MBP for $1200 in 2010.
Fred purchased a 13" MBP for $1499 in 2010
Fred sold the 2010 MBP for $1200 in 2011.
Fred purchased a 13" MBP for $1499 in 2011
Fred sold the 2011 MBP for $1200 in 2012.
Fred purchased a 13" MBP for $1499 in 2012
$1499 - $1200 + $1499 - $1200 + $1499 - $1200 + $1499 - $1200 + $1499= $2695

So in the end both Bob and Fred have identical machines. However Fred paid about $300 more than Bob, so yes in this case it did cost more. But Bob always had the newest technology AND a warranty.

Now lets say that in 2010 Bob had an issue with his then 2+ year old MB and it cost $300 to replace the logic board. So in this case they spent the same and Fred still had the latest and greatest every year.

For some the additonal $300 over 4 years is well worth it. Now maybe 80% resale is a bit high, or the resale of the 2008 at $600 is a bit low but I think it is in the ballpark.

I used to always have a desktop and a laptop and I'd replace each every other year (alternating years). This kept my urge to update constantly at bay by sticking to such a system. However I stopped buying desktops when Apple changed their philosophy and really got rid of a standard desktop (not a fan of all-in-ones, mini underpowered, and the Pro just kept creeping up in price point). But that is a different topic. So now I typically get a new laptop every 18 months or so.

Camwin

macrumors regular
May 24, 2012
You're forgetting to factor in the value of your time that is being wasted trying to sell your old machine. There's also the time value of money.

I mean, if you absolutely need the latest machine and/or enjoy the process of selling and getting the latest apple product, go ahead I have nothing against it. But do not justify base on the fact that you're not losing anything, because that's certainly inaccurate.

My time is minuscule. I send a text to my buddies, who love apple just as much as I do telling them I'm selling my gently used 11 month old laptop, at a price they aren't able to find anywhere else. They know how I treat my electronics and are happy that I'm able to help them out, as well as them helping me out.
And when there are no friends who want? I still Craigslist it for the price I paid and negotiate a couple hundred dollars down. Once I got away with selling it for 400 more since I have several corporate versions of software that I load them up with.

Id say in my case, i rarely lose even 20% upgrading every year.

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
It's very refreshing to read the truth.

Unfortunately too many users paint this rosy picture of how Mac's hold their value (which they do, but some exaggerate the actual amount) and that it's a very reasonable, and inexpensive way to go.

I upgrade at each and every refresh cycle, year after year. Yet I can easily afford it, I put a massive amount of run time on my Macs since they are used for intensively for work, and personal, so I'm more than ready for a change when new ones are introduced.

The old ones I give to family, or donate. I simply don't have the time or desire to deal with selling them on the used market.

Your family must love you...

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
We've got a bunch of Macs and there is no way we would upgrade every year! As it is, the refresh rate is a minimum of 3 years, the old ones usually get passed on to relatives, friends, or charity, and most are bought refurbished to begin with. I don't lust after new boxes and technology isn't advancing nearly as fast as it did 2-3 decades ago -- computers are a mature technology.

jcpb

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2012
im questioning what's the value of upgrading every refresh. unless you are doing heavy duty work like A/V editing that requires heavy CPU load, the amount of money you end up spending cannot possibly justify the marginal improvement in performance. even if you could purchase on student discount for ex, the amount of tax you pay per unit (and the amount of fees you end up paying on the resell market on ebay for instance), you end up losing a couple hundred dollars per year which certainly adds up year to year.
When you're using your computers to earn a living, every little bit of performance improvement counts, so it makes 110% sense to upgrade every year... and lower the amount of taxes you pay!

wct097

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 30, 2010
When you're using your computers to earn a living, every little bit of performance improvement counts, so it makes 110% sense to upgrade every year... and lower the amount of taxes you pay!

This is true. In my case, I'm a developer and use it to run a number of virtual machines. I can take all the power I can get. I use it daily and count on it to earn a living. I was pretty pissed when the 2011 MBP refresh didn't include USB3.0. As I predicted, Thunderbolt won't be used on my current machine prior to me selling it. Crossing my fingers that USB3.0 shows up on the next gen.

theLimit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2007
up tha holler, acrost tha crick
I prefer to look at it as leasing a machine for about $1-2 a day. Or about $2200/year over five years. With Time Machine backups, downtime is only a few hours per year. It really all depends on your workflow, how soon you sell, and how long you can be without a computer.

rpmor

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2012
how come no one is factoring apple care into their equations when they say X person who buys at every refresh has warranty but Y person doesn't?

Camwin

macrumors regular
May 24, 2012
how come no one is factoring apple care into their equations when they say X person who buys at every refresh has warranty but Y person doesn't?

Because some people want to validate the fact that they have waited years to upgrade. And their AppleCare is gone.

rpmor

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2012
Because some people want to validate the fact that they have waited years to upgrade. And their AppleCare is gone.

i dont get that though. Applecare gives you additional 2 years? upgrading every 3 years isn't so bad and probably makes sense since in theory you do actually run out of warranty then but in everyone's hypothetical expense difference no one factors in having Applecare from day 1 or before the offer to upgrade to it lapses. Where the argument of having 'no warranty' or no X has warranty cause he bought the refresh becomes void.

also the argument of being technologically present makes little sense. a 20% gain next year wont change your world completely; at the very least the year after (aka when your Mac turns 2 lol) will the jump become more meaningful.

alas to each their own.

raymondu999

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2008
I find that upgrading every other refresh is the sweet spot (for myself) between my compulsion of needing to have the very best, vs what I actually need and the hassle of having to reconfigure my working environment. Except of course if there's a redesign which happens only one refresh after my purchase - then I make an exception. I make sure each machine lasts me so I generally max out my options, within reason. ie I'm not going to spend $200 for an extra 100MHz of performance. But I will take up RAM, SSD, hires display BTOs and all that.

iAppl3Fan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
Well think of it this way, every 4 years you upgrade full out, and spec the machine out. You will be looking at around 3000. You sell it for 2250-2500 the next year and buy the new for 3000. You lose 500-750 a year doing this. Times that by 4 and you are looking at 2000-3000 every 4 years to stay on top. Therefore losing the same, if not less money then waiting 4 years to upgrade and stay with the newest models/specs.

I'd rather pay 3000 once and then make "yearly" payments to keep on the cutting edge.

The other view to look at is with yearly upgrades, you'll always have 1 computer. If you upgrade every 4 year you'll get to keep that older machine to repurpose for something else or sell it if it still worth anything.

r3dm4lcz

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2012
LPL
Not losing money, at all. If you actually read the thread I gave a perfect example that was worked for me for 6 gens now. Never sold for less than 500 off what I paid for it. And once more if you do the math, 500 dollars every year for 4 years is 2000, where as buying what I want straight out would be more than 2600.

You are losing money, that's a fact.

I can't find your strategy in this thread, but I can guarantee it's biased in some way. Are you arguing a completely different point regarding pre-owned laptops? It was from my understanding that 'upgrading every refresh', meant an upgrade all of us can take part in e.g. brand new, for a set price. Therefore if you're saying "you can upgrade every refresh" but referring to arbitrary items you've bought, well, that's not a benchmark is it?

Therefore I'll reiterate my point: You will lose money. But the money you lose is the price you pay for the upgrade in performance, which for some (like me), is what it's all about.

Contradiction? Yes indeed.

Last edited:

jcpb

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2012
You are losing money, that's a fact.

I can't find your strategy in this thread, but I can guarantee it's biased in some way. Are you arguing a completely different point regarding pre-owned laptops? It was from my understanding that 'upgrading every refresh', meant an upgrade all of us can take part in e.g. brand new, for a set price. Therefore if you're saying "you can upgrade every refresh" but referring to arbitrary items you've bought, well, that's not a benchmark is it?

Therefore I'll reiterate my point: You will lose money. But the money you lose is the price you pay for the upgrade in performance, which for some (like me), is what it's all about.

Contradiction? Yes indeed.
My time is minuscule. I send a text to my buddies, who love apple just as much as I do telling them I'm selling my gently used 11 month old laptop, at a price they aren't able to find anywhere else. They know how I treat my electronics and are happy that I'm able to help them out, as well as them helping me out.
And when there are no friends who want? I still Craigslist it for the price I paid and negotiate a couple hundred dollars down. Once I got away with selling it for 400 more since I have several corporate versions of software that I load them up with.

Since it works for Camwin, there is no contradiction. It is already clear to him that losing money by upgrading every year is irrelevant.

You're arguing on semantics.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.