Upgrading Final Cut Express (older version)

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by danimal99, Dec 1, 2009.

1. danimal99 macrumors regular

I have a MacBook Pro 13" (mid 2009) with Snow Leopard, and will be in Advanced TV Production class in college this spring, which is a Final Cut Pro-based class. I was able to use FC to do my final project this semester, so what I did was borrow Final Cut Express 4 to finish my project. I probably could have done the whole thing in iMovie 09, but wanted to use FCE instead.

Anyway, so what I've also done is I bought FCE 2.0 retail on ebay, with the intention of upgrading to the latest version by the time class starts in January. Hopefully, FCE 5 will be released by then, but what I'm wondering is how the upgrade works. Do I need to install FCE 2.0 first? Or will the FCE 4/5 upgrade just ask for the serial number? Does FCE 2 even work on Snow Leopard?

Thanks!

2. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I can imagine FCE 2 will have numerous problems on Snow Leopard. Also, it's one of those apps that you don't want to use Rosetta because it's fairly processor intensive (it's a PPC application, not meant to run perfectly on new Macs)

But, from what I recall, Final Cut asks for your past serial number for upgrades.