Upgrading firmware: does it wipe the iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mailliw, Sep 21, 2008.

1. mailliw macrumors member

Hi all. I've Googled my backside off trying to answer this, but have resorted to you fine people to help. I think I know the answer...but here goes.

Upgrading to 2.1, will it wipe everything off my iPhone, or does it retain all the music and apps? I've not got my main PC with me for a few weeks, and was thinking of trying to upgrade via my laptop...but, obviously, its library is sync'd with the PC.

So...will it wipe everything and attempt (and fail) to do a sync to get it all back?

Cheers!

Will

2. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

I'm pretty sure it will wipe it. You can only sync with one computer.

3. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Yeah I think it will wipe the phone. You might be able to backup your info, texts, and contacts etc to the laptop first, but your Music and apps will probably be gone till you can sync with your main PC.

4. mailliw thread starter macrumors member

5. sibruk macrumors 6502a

I'm not so sure that it would delete all your content, since an upgrade doesn't usually do this (restore would). However, I'm not 100% certain, and also I have no experience of upgrading an iPhone on another machine that doesn't do the main sync so...

Forget I ever posted, because I haven't really been of much use. :rolleyes:

6. musio macrumors 68020

musio

no it doesn't.

My music, vids, contacts, cal and apps are all there after every firmware upgrade.

From what i understand, the firmware portion of the iphone is only wiped - not content.

To add; i don't sync. I manually manage my music and i have mobile me. I don't think this makes a difference though. Soon as the upgrade is done, i turn my phone on and everything is A ok ;)

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The firmware upgrade from 1.x to 2.x wipes the iPhone, but upgrades within 2.x... i.e. 2.0.1 to 2.1, 2.0.1 to 2.0.2, etc, do not.

But if you try this, be careful not to let it sync the iPhone to the computer.

8. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

+1 Make sure you don't have the box checked "automatic syncing of all iphones and ipods." You can also cancel the sync by pressing the "X" in the circle to the right of where it displays "Accessing iTunes Store..."

I remember doing a sync and back-up before going to 2.1 just in case and was up and running immediately after the update on both my iPhone and the War Department's iPhone.

9. mailliw thread starter macrumors member

Great. Well, if it's good enough for the War Department, it's good enough for me. Thanks all. I'll give it a go and blame you all when it goes tits up ;)

10. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I updated my phone to 2.1 on a work computer, and it was fine - all my content was there, and was able to sync fine when I got home.

11. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Too funny...LMAO :D

12. neesh0 macrumors 6502a

neesh0

major update(1.x-2.x) deletes stuff, a small update(2.x-2.x) doesnt

13. mailliw thread starter macrumors member