Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tee7788

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2009
Hi
I currently have an iPhone 3GS unlocked on fw 3.1.3. My question is will I be able to upgrade to 4.0 by doing a shift-restore in iTunes or will I be forced to upgrade to 4.2.1? Reason I want to upgrade to 4.0 is because i want to be able to unlock. Thanks!

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
Hi
I currently have an iPhone 3GS unlocked on fw 3.1.3. My question is will I be able to upgrade to 4.0 by doing a shift-restore in iTunes or will I be forced to upgrade to 4.2.1? Reason I want to upgrade to 4.0 is because i want to be able to unlock. Thanks!

If you have the SHSH files saved for 4.0/4.0.1/4.0.2 you can upgrade in iTunes. If you don't your only option is to go to 4.2.1

You can use PwnageTool to upgrade and preserve your baseband. You can even go to 4.1 if you those shsh files saved (but you have to use Pwnage).

tee7788

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2009
Thanks for the response. Since I've haven't upgraded to 4.0, I don't have any SHSH saved in cydia. Looks like I'll just have to wait for the 4.2.1 jailbreak and unlock.

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
Thanks for the response. Since I've haven't upgraded to 4.0, I don't have any SHSH saved in cydia. Looks like I'll just have to wait for the 4.2.1 jailbreak and unlock.

You don't have to upgrade to 4.x.x to get the shsh. Once you click "Make My Life Easier" in Cydia, Cydia will then save the shsh blobs for the firmwares automatically.

You don't have to be jailbroken to save the shsh either. If you're not jailbroken, you can use TinyUmbrella to save the blobs.

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2010
Has pwntool been updated to do this on windows yet? I'm looking to do the same thing. Want to go to 4.2.1 but keep baseband. Isn't there a baseband check I read about, does pwntool get you around that?

iPhone3Gs, iOS 4.0.2, modem 5.13.04, OLD bootrom*
SHSH saved for 4.2b3 and 4.2.1 but nothing lower, this worries me a little. I don't even want to jailbreak in fear of hosing the phone and being forced to do an upgrade and lose the possibility of unlock.

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
Has pwntool been updated to do this on windows yet? I'm looking to do the same thing. Want to go to 4.2.1 but keep baseband. Isn't there a baseband check I read about, does pwntool get you around that?

iPhone3Gs, iOS 4.0.2, modem 5.13.04, OLD bootrom*
SHSH saved for 4.2b3 and 4.2.1 but nothing lower, this worries me a little. I don't even want to jailbreak in fear of hosing the phone and being forced to do an upgrade and lose the possibility of unlock.

No. PwnageTool is a Mac only software. If any of your friends or family has a Mac you can then use PwnageTool.

Or, you can find a website you can trust that has a custom ipsw.

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2010
Does devteam release these custom firmwares with a checksum? They seem to hint at this on their blog.

Edit found one of what you are talking about on demonoid, not sure if I have the balls to try their firmware though. I think I would rather cook up a OSX in vmware to do it myself.

Last edited:

tee7788

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2009
You don't have to upgrade to 4.x.x to get the shsh. Once you click "Make My Life Easier" in Cydia, Cydia will then save the shsh blobs for the firmwares automatically.

You don't have to be jailbroken to save the shsh either. If you're not jailbroken, you can use TinyUmbrella to save the blobs.

Thanks!!! I wasn't aware of that. I thought I only had SHSH saved for 3.1.3. I just did a successful "shift-restore" upgrade to 4.0.1 and jailbreak/unlock.

dejeezu

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2010
Inquiry along same lines

Hi, I'm new here and decided to continue this thread instead of starting new one since it is so similar. I have the same, iphone 3gs old bootrom jailbroken on 3.1.3, hacktivated and unlocked 5.12.01 baseband. Have SHSH from 3.1 to 4.1. Also seeking upgrade path to latest jailbroken firmware possible (4.2.1 or 4.1) that is hacktivated/jailbroken/unlocked. As I had a nightmare of trial/error to get 3.1.3 hacktivated and unlocked without the original sim, I had put off until now.

How do I upgrade while preserving baseband on Windows? I do not see any indication that any of these methods will hacktivate the iphone, so do not want any shocks done by assumptions.

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
Hi, I'm new here and decided to continue this thread instead of starting new one since it is so similar. I have the same, iphone 3gs old bootrom jailbroken on 3.1.3, hacktivated and unlocked 5.12.01 baseband. Have SHSH from 3.1 to 4.1. Also seeking upgrade path to latest jailbroken firmware possible (4.2.1 or 4.1) that is hacktivated/jailbroken/unlocked. As I had a nightmare of trial/error to get 3.1.3 hacktivated and unlocked without the original sim, I had put off until now.

How do I upgrade while preserving baseband on Windows? I do not see any indication that any of these methods will hacktivate the iphone, so do not want any shocks done by assumptions.

The only way to do it is by downloading a custom ipsw for your device that has been made by an iPhone user using PwnageTool.

If you don't want to go through with the downloading a custom ipsw route, you can update to 4.0/4.0.1/4.0.2 and still be able to unlock. But you will need to edit your host files or using TinyUmbrella to upgrade. And there is no hactivating 4.0-4.0.1 (you'll need the original sim). http://www.jailbreakme.com (straight from safari on iPhone) will jailbreak after being activated.

4.0.2 can be jailbroken with LimeRa1n (which hactivates).

If you desire to go to 4.1/4.2.1 you need a custom ipsw.

dejeezu

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2010
The only way to do it is by downloading a custom ipsw for your device that has been made by an iPhone user using PwnageTool.

If you don't want to go through with the downloading a custom ipsw route, you can update to 4.0/4.0.1/4.0.2 and still be able to unlock. But you will need to edit your host files or using TinyUmbrella to upgrade. And there is no hactivating 4.0-4.0.1 (you'll need the original sim). http://www.jailbreakme.com (straight from safari on iPhone) will jailbreak after being activated.

4.0.2 can be jailbroken with LimeRa1n (which hactivates).

If you desire to go to 4.1/4.2.1 you need a custom ipsw.

If I obtained a custom ipsw for 4.2.1 and proceed to shift-restore to it, is that the only step? (After which I just reinstall ultrasn0w from cydia)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.