Upgrading from 1 iPhone to 2 iPhones/Family Talk process?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chriskzoo, Jun 10, 2010.

1. chriskzoo macrumors 6502

Aug 25, 2005
    Has anybody done this with the 3G or 3GS or know the process? My 2G is past it's contract date so there is absolutely no obligation there, so my thinking is all I need to do is the following:

• Pre-order 2 iPhones for $199/299 each to be delivered around June 24th
    • Port the number from my current phone to one of the new phones via iTunes
    • Stop into an AT&T store to activate the other phone and change the original plan to a Family Talk plan

I know I could upgrade the first line to Family Talk online, but would there be any way to activate the second phone and add it to the Family Talk line without going into a store?
  2. lazer310 macrumors member

Jun 9, 2010
    I stopped into an AT&T store last night and asked the same question. They told me that I have to bring it into the store to convert it over to a family plan.
  3. chriskzoo thread starter macrumors 6502

Aug 25, 2005
    OK cool. They didn't say you had to buy the phone from the store though, right?
  4. lazer310 macrumors member

Jun 9, 2010
    No, you can get the phone through pre order from Apple or AT&T. Doesn't matter. Just have to goto the store to complete the actual change to a family plan.
  5. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Dec 18, 2008
    North Carolina
    What you can also do is the day before you want to order, simply call the AT&T CSR 800-number and have your plan switched to a Family plan. That way you're done before you need to order the phones.