Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ll PiStoNs ll

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2007
Can someone explain if everything on my hard drive will be saved, just not the OS?

And can someone give me the link to a safe download (and cheap, too)
Cuz i just got a ipod touch, and it wont work cuz i have 10.3.9

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
When you install, make sure "Archive and Install" is selected. It will only update the system files and keep your Users folder. But it is highly recommended that you backup first, just in case something goes wrong.

You can't download 10.4. You need to buy it.

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
yes, everything will be saved.

No, we can't give a download link, because that's illegal and immoral. Leopard is coming out, and it's only $130 US, so if you can afford an iPod Touch, you can afford Leopard.

AlexisV

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Manchester, UK
You're in a tricky position. Leopard (10.5) comes out in October. Buy Tiger now and a new OS will be coming out in a few weeks.

I'd wait, or talk to someone at the Apple store with your dilemma.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Can someone explain if everything on my hard drive will be saved, just not the OS?

And can someone give me the link to a safe download (and cheap, too)
Cuz i just got a ipod touch, and it wont work cuz i have 10.3.9

Please don't ask for a Mac OS X download. It's again the rules to ask for pirated software.

ll PiStoNs ll

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2007
Please don't ask for a Mac OS X download. It's again the rules to ask for pirated software.

Well how come when i search for so x tiger the first links I get are

Download TIger 10.4 for 39$

or download it somewhere.... i figured you could just buy it online just as you would a song opposed to a cd.

And my computer is a emac from 2005(its only 2 years old.. i cant believe ipod touch wont work on it)

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA

or download it somewhere.... i figured you could just buy it online just as you would a song opposed to a cd.

And my computer is a emac from 2005(its only 2 years old.. i cant believe ipod touch wont work on it)

I don't thing there's any legit OS X downloads. OS X doesn't have a serial number like Windows, so having the physical media is usually the only prevention of piracy. Apple doesn't really do software downloads in general for their paid software...I don't think any of OS X, iLife or iWork is available for purchase via download.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I don't think any of OS X, iLife or iWork is available for purchase via download.

you can get iWork trial and then buy a serial number from Apple and activate it without ever using the disk. but you can't do that with OS X.

Your best bet of getting Tiger would be to check ebay you can sometimes get it cheap on there.

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA
you can get iWork trial and then buy a serial number from Apple and activate it without ever using the disk. but you can't do that with OS X.

That's interesting. I wonder why they don't offer that for iLife too. OS X would be a sizable download and obviously wouldn't make much sense for try-before-you-buy, so I can see the argument not to offer OS X for download. But iLife seems like a no-brainer to offer if they're offering iWork that way already. Is that new to iWork '08 or was the previous version available for download too?

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
That's interesting. I wonder why they don't offer that for iLife too. OS X would be a sizable download and obviously wouldn't make much sense for try-before-you-buy, so I can see the argument not to offer OS X for download. But iLife seems like a no-brainer to offer if they're offering iWork that way already. Is that new to iWork '08 or was the previous version available for download too?

I think it is because iWork uses a key where iLife does not, and neither does OS X, I think that they still mail you the CD too, just they also email the key once you buy it.
I'm not sure if there was a trial you could download for the previous versions of iWork, I'm pretty sure that you could buy and enter a key if you had gotten the trial with a new Mac though.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard

I find it hard to believe that it won't work with 10.3.9 but since Leopard is almost out, they've probably set the termination for Panther support.

Unfortunately, not everything you see online is legitimate. If you don't get discs with it or if the offer is too hard to believe, it's probably a scam but then, you know that, I'm sure. ;)

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA
I think it is because iWork uses a key where iLife does not, and neither does OS X, I think that they still mail you the CD too, just they also email the key once you buy it.
I'm not sure if there was a trial you could download for the previous versions of iWork, I'm pretty sure that you could buy and enter a key if you had gotten the trial with a new Mac though.

It's just odd that only iWork has a key. I wonder if they're moving in that direction and iLife '09 or '10 will have a key and be downloadable too. Buying physical software these days seems so unnecessary. Almost all the software I've bought in the last couple years was via download.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
I think iWork is downloadable because of the substantial amount of new features (NUMBERS!!!) and the fact that it's no where near the size of iLife. I think it was just a few hundred MBs, while iLife has so much in it (GarageBand, iMovie, and iWeb stuff) that it wouldn't be worth it. Also iLife comes with all new Macs (I think???) and users already have a taste of what they're getting, this is just some updates to some older apps.

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA
I think iWork is downloadable because of the substantial amount of new features (NUMBERS!!!) and the fact that it's no where near the size of iLife. I think it was just a few hundred MBs, while iLife has so much in it (GarageBand, iMovie, and iWeb stuff) that it wouldn't be worth it. Also iLife comes with all new Macs (I think???) and users already have a taste of what they're getting, this is just some updates to some older apps.

I don't know how big the packages for iLife and iWork are (and I'm too lazy to go get my discs to check), but the installed apps for iLife are a little over 900MB vs. just under 700MB for iWork. So unless the packages have a lot other than the .app files and the Library configs, I assume iWork isn't all that much smaller when they're compressed.

You are right that iLife comes with all Macs, as does the 30-day trial of iWork (pre-installed). Perhaps they felt it was necessary to have keys for iWork to encourage sales conversions from the installed trial. It'd be pretty clunky to have to order iWork via mail or go to the store when you decided you were ready to buy it when it's already installed on your computer.

I tend to think of this in terms of my likelihood to buy an iLife upgrade being much higher if it's available online. But maybe Apple actually benefits from making you go to the Apple store or the web store, even if it cuts iLife upgrades a bit. It's another opportunity to make you drool over the latest products and accessories, and they get brand exposure and potential additional sales out of it.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
I think I remember reading there are more than just the apps, in regards to iLife apps. They install another thing with all the audio and video clips, along with templates and photos and such.

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA
I think I remember reading there are more than just the apps, in regards to iLife apps. They install another thing with all the audio and video clips, along with templates and photos and such.

That would make sense. I think you're right that the added size is probably part of the reason they're not available for download. But these days I don't think all that much about downloading a gig...the free TV episodes in iTunes each week are over 500MB a pop. So if it's worth the bandwidth and storage cost to sell a 500MB TV show for $1.99, presumably it's worth their while to sell 1GB software downloads for $79.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard

I know that I saved 3.6 GB by removing GarageBand '05 and its support files and sample files. iWork '08 is smaller overall than iWork '06, which seems strange. That may change as they provide patches so that it works better.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
iWork '08 is smaller overall than iWork '06, which seems strange. That may change as they provide patches so that it works better.

I think I remember reading that it's because '06 had templates and graphics and what not for EVERY language, while '08 has just one template/graphic/whatever and each language shares that file.

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA
I know that I saved 3.6 GB by removing GarageBand '05 and its support files and sample files. iWork '08 is smaller overall than iWork '06, which seems strange. That may change as they provide patches so that it works better.

Wow that's huge. The packages must really compress well to fit all the apps and extra stuff on a DVD.

As for the incredible shrinking iWork, I can only guess that code rewrites and utilizing more OS frameworks have cut down bulk from the apps. I know that when I'm developing, apps often get paradoxically smaller over time despite adding features thanks to constantly refactoring for greater reusability and optimization.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I think I remember reading that it's because '06 had templates and graphics and what not for EVERY language, while '08 has just one template/graphic/whatever and each language shares that file.

I've read that, also.

Wow that's huge. The packages must really compress well to fit all the apps and extra stuff on a DVD.

As for the incredible shrinking iWork, I can only guess that code rewrites and utilizing more OS frameworks have cut down bulk from the apps. I know that when I'm developing, apps often get paradoxically smaller over time despite adding features thanks to constantly refactoring for greater reusability and optimization.

Sure, but I think part of what Apple is doing is dumping more and more of their applications' parts into the operating system. Of course, if they don't provide access and documentation to them, they'll be like some other operating system vendor. :eek:

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA
Sure, but I think part of what Apple is doing is dumping more and more of their applications' parts into the operating system. Of course, if they don't provide access and documentation to them, they'll be like some other operating system vendor. :eek:

They definitely are dumping more into the OS, but I think it's a good thing. Things like Core Data and Core Animation aid the Apple i-apps, but they also are well-utilized by third-party developers. I became a Mac user thanks to Panther. I never would have considered switching from a PC to OS 9 or earlier - they just didn't seem robust enough. Switching to a *nix base and having a heavily improved underlying architecture is what made running Macs appealing to me after many years since using original Apples and early Macs.

But you're absolutely right that Apple has to be careful. Their tendency towards secrecy and obfuscation is great in the marketing realm, but horrible for developers. Hopefully they'll continue to provide ample documentation, training and conferences for developers, because no matter how great their apps may be, they can't do everything all on their own. I hope Steve & co. are heeding the recent comparisons to everyone's favorite company to hate....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.