Upgrading from 10.4 tiger to leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jaredistheman, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Jaredistheman macrumors member

Hi there, i just recently bought my first laptop, a black macbook, and it happens to have tiger on it. Obviously i want leopard and i'm just curious, my friend has the same black macbook as me, but his came stock with leopard so could i use his restore disks to update my computer?

thanks!

2. catachip macrumors regular

catachip

We've got a couple issues here. First, you do not have a license for OS X Leopard. That license was for your friend and for his computer. It is effectively stealing to install it on your system (even if it worked). You need to purchase a retail copy of Leopard ($129, or cheaper with educational discounts).

From a technical standpoint, the restore disk may or may not work, depending on a number of issues. If it is an identical system (i.e., in regards to specifications, processor, etc.) it is very likely that it would work. Generally, these restore disks are tied to the specific model it is bundled with, so, even a speed bumped model might not work with the disk. One would just need to try it, again, in theory.