upgrading from 10.4 to 10.6 w/ a new hard drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by furcalchick, Oct 7, 2009.

?

how should i upgrade to snow leopard?

Poll closed Oct 23, 2009.
  1. clean install, then migrate

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. clone, then upgrade

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

i'm going to buy an internal hard drive and the snow leopard box set (with ilife and iwork) likely in the next week or so, and i'm wondering how i should go about the upgrade to snow leopard. my current internal hard drive is dying, and i'm running on a boot-able external drive that was cloned from the internal just before the internal hard drive went bad. the external also serves as my backup. the hard drive is running 10.4.11 (don't have leopard), so time machine is out.

1. clean install, then migrate
    in this option, i would do a clean install of snow leopard on the internal hard drive, then migrate the info from the external drive to the internal to make it feel like a new drive.

pros: feels like a new hard drive
    cons: will have to spend time trying to get back up to speed

2. clone, then upgrade
    in this option, i would use superduper! to clone the external hard drive to the internal hard drive, then do an upgrade to snow leopard on the internal afterwards.

pros: can get back to normal after installing
    cons: upgrading from tiger, could have issues

which option should i go with and why? thanks.

2. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

I voted for running the clean install. I'm a big believer in fresh OS installs whenever the chance arises.

3. Xapphire13 macrumors regular

Xapphire13

Clean install. Chances are it will run faster than an upgrade install.

4. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

it's been over a week since i installed snow leopard and i left everyone hanging on this issue. i got a new 320 gb internal hard drive and i decided to clean install to snow leopard, and set the settings from scratch. after installing ilife and iwork, i transferred my documents, movies, music and pictures manually to the new drive, and then i installed the apps i knew i was going to use. a couple of apps didn't make it though, but most ran fine. the mac ran alot faster and snappier than it probably would have if i upgraded and brought the old data over, and i've had no problems.