Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

groundcontrol

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
Toronto, ON, Canada
Hi folks,

I am trying to help a friend with an old Macbook Air upgrade to 10.10 - the minimum OS he needs in order to run a particular program. His MBA is currently on 10.6.8. The system requirements to install Sierra are a bit much for his MBA, so he just wants the minimum level OS required to run the software. Is there any way for him to only upgrade to 10.10 at this point? Hope so!

Sorry if I am posting in the wrong forum and thanks for any help in advance!

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
Unfortunately, Apple no longer provides Yosemite for download, unless it was previously downloaded when it was available. Your friend would need a Apple ID account that was used to download Yosemite, then launch the App Store app and check the purchased section to "DOWNLOAD" Yosemite.

A Mac friend that has downloaded Yosemite could download and create a Yosemite bootable USB flash drive installer for your friend.

Yosemite bootable USB flash drive installers used to available for sale on Amazon & eBay.

Reactions: groundcontrol

groundcontrol

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
Toronto, ON, Canada
Unfortunately, Apple no longer provides Yosemite for download, unless it was previously downloaded when it was available. Your friend would need a Apple ID account that was used to download Yosemite, then launch the App Store app and check the purchased section to "DOWNLOAD" Yosemite.

A Mac friend that has downloaded Yosemite could download and create a Yosemite bootable USB flash drive installer for your friend.

Yosemite bootable USB flash drive installers used to available for sale on Amazon & eBay.

Thanks for your reply @CoastalOR. I appreciate it. I'm guessing those will be hard to find now but I'll look around. Cheers!

Reactions: CoastalOR

javapoppa

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2009
Hi folks,

I am trying to help a friend with an old Macbook Air upgrade to 10.10 - the minimum OS he needs in order to run a particular program. His MBA is currently on 10.6.8. The system requirements to install Sierra are a bit much for his MBA, so he just wants the minimum level OS required to run the software. Is there any way for him to only upgrade to 10.10 at this point? Hope so!

Sorry if I am posting in the wrong forum and thanks for any help in advance!

I just completed an upgrade from 10.6.8 to El Capitan on an iMac and it was easy and painless. I bought a thumb drive on Amazon for $14.50. that contained both El Capitan and Sierra and a set of easy to follows instructions. I'm sure you could find any system that you want there.

groundcontrol

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
Toronto, ON, Canada
Thank you everyone for your kind support. My friend spoke to an Apple phone support person and was able to get a download for the needed upgrade (much to my surprise!). I believe he has upgraded with that file. If not, I'll direct him to the other helpful ideas shared here. Thanks again folks! Cheers!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.