iPad Upgrading from 1G iPad...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by FutureStar, Oct 17, 2014.

1. FutureStar macrumors newbie

I'm planning to get a new iPad for Christmas; my 1G iPad still works but crashes constantly and there is a lot of apps I can't use. I would like the iPad Air 2, but the only one I can afford is the 16GB version and I've heard that 16 gigs is not enough. I mostly use my iPad for web browsing, videos and casual gameplay.

Should I get an iPad Air 2 anyway, or consider other tablets?

Thanks in advance!

2. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

16 GB is probably enough for you. It can fit a game or two and fit nearly all of the apps required for your expectations.

3. Wbutchart macrumors regular

You can look at the original air or the iPad mini 2? Both of these are less money and have excellent hardware (a7 is not as far behind the a8). The mini 2 is in the context of tablets a steal just now, you would get 32 gb and a notice the difference in speed and power.

4. Zcott macrumors 68020

Now that's an upgrade. You'll hardly believe how good the Air 2 will be compared to the 1G.

5. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

16GB is small, but totally depends on how you use it. I would also consider that you might find new ways to use the Air vs your 1G since it has a camera and is compatible with storage hog apps that take advantage of the Air's higher resolution.

If you plan on keeping your Air 2 as long as you kept your 1G I wouldn't get anything less than 64GB (I'd normally say 32, but not available in the Air 2) to give it more longevity. If that puts you out of the Air 2 price range then look to the Air and don't overlook Apple's refurbs which are as good as new and come with full warranty.

Another option if you want an Air 2 but need a lower price point -- wait until the Black Friday sales. Target and other stores had $50 price drops last year even before BF. That will cut the price of the upgrade from 16 to 64GB in half. Surely you can swing an extra $50 for something you will be using for 3-4 years.

6. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

If you are sticking to apple I'd say the air 2 is the best bet. Get the 64gb and pay a bit more then the 16. From the looks of it you keep your tablets as long as possible so the money would be worth it.

7. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Seems like what you mostly would use it for is streaming and internet services. 16gb will be enough.