Upgrading from 1st gen iPhone to iPhone4

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by MrMinor, Jun 14, 2010.

1. MrMinor macrumors 6502

When the iPhone 4 comes out I will probably be upgrading as my 1st gen iPhone is starting to show its age. What will I need to do as far as transferring setting and everything. Will I have to set everything up from scratch or will I be able to move all my settings over to the new phone? What steps should I take ahead of time to make the move as smooth as possible?

2. SDNikki macrumors member

same question here

3. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Just make sure you backup your phone before you start using the new one. When you get the new one, connecting it to iTunes will prompt you to restore your previous backup.

Make sure any purchases are also transferred to your computer ahead of time.

4. OC513 macrumors 6502

just sync your current iPhone and let it do it back up....then when syncing new phone you can choose to put everything you backed up on it and it will look exactly as you Phone does now......except of course a much more beautiful screen ;). But icons, page setup will all be identical.

5. MrMinor thread starter macrumors 6502

6. hexonxonx macrumors 601

By the way, I saw that you asked this same question on another site. You really should just pick one site and ask the question there instead of getting two people here and five people there to give the same answers.

7. MrMinor thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry if it was overkill. I have done that in the past and often only get an answer at one place while the other post gets ignored.

Thanks for all your help. It is greatly appreciated.