Upgrading from 1st gen Macbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by samstod, Nov 17, 2008.

1. samstod macrumors member

I currently have a 1st gen Macbook 2.0ghz with 2 gigs of ram. I am thinking about upgrading to one of the new Macs on Black Friday when there are some deals. I just had a few questions:

1) How much of a speed upgrade would I see going from a core2 to the 2.0 processor on the new MB? I don't do a lot of 3D, but I do use VmwareFusion for some apps.

2) is the 2.4ghz macbook worth the $300 upgrade price?

3) How much have the last gen MBPros come down in price? Are they a viable alternative to the new gen MacBooks?

4) I use the machine in clamshell mode most of the time. Are there any concerns with this and the new gen macs?

5) How easy is it to transfer software and licenses to a new mac?

Thanks in advance,
    Samstod

2. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Can't really offer an expert opinion on Q1, to Q2, I'd say, no, not really. Q3, I don't have the exact figure to hand, but the refurb discount is very generous, and the refurb MBPs are an excellent product and more than a viable alternative to the new MBs; indeed, they are still a considerably better machine; Q4, I don't see why there should be concerns with this; Q5, if your hold a software licence legally there should be no difficulty in transferring it; such licences can legally cover a number of computers.

Cheers and good luck

3. svndmvn Guest

cheers