Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DJAKO

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Michigan
So it's been a while since I last bought a Mac. I bought a 2006 MBP for college and should be receiving my new retina MBP from FedEx shortly. Since I've been out of the loop with the hardware over the years, I do have a few questions.

Having an SSD is very new to me. I've never had a machine with an SSD before. Is there anything I should do to take care of the SSD? I hear they have TRIM enabled by default, but other than that, is there anything I should know about using one?

Also, in terms of the battery...I use my current MBP like a desktop now because the battery died only like 3 years into its life. With this new Mac is it ok to leave it plugged in while I work on it? I'm always afraid keeping it plugged in even after 100% will affect the battery life. Am I crazy or is this not an issue anymore?

Sorry if these are stupid questions, but you have to realize I'm coming from a C2D maxed out at 3 GB of RAM with a 120 GB HDD. so it's been a while since I've had new hardware.

Thanks!

zerotiu

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
wow, how can you stand using that? My work demand is very high, I've been waiting since last year to replace my 2008 MBP lol.

I think there is no special thing you should do to take care SSD.

Although Apple has new battery design since 2010, you cannot plug all the way when you reach 100%, you have to let the juice inside the battery flows. You can but you have too let it down to 50% and then charge it again (I think it is mentioned on apple battery guide)

DJAKO

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Michigan
wow, how can you stand using that? My work demand is very high, I've been waiting since last year to replace my 2008 MBP lol.

I think there is no special thing you should do to take care SSD.

Although Apple has new battery design since 2010, you cannot plug all the way when you reach 100%, you have to let the juice inside the battery flows. You can but you have too let it down to 50% and then charge it again (I think it is mentioned on apple battery guide)

Thanks for the tips. I understand the stuff about a "cycle" on the battery. But I just want to make sure that if I use the laptop while it's plugged in most of the time that I won't cause a negative effect on the battery. I usually work with my MBP in clamshell mode on my desk.

ljx718

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2008
Thanks for the tips. I understand the stuff about a "cycle" on the battery. But I just want to make sure that if I use the laptop while it's plugged in most of the time that I won't cause a negative effect on the battery. I usually work with my MBP in clamshell mode on my desk.

ive never thought about it and always used my laptops while pulgged in. Never had a problem with batteries. I think all that cycle talk is a bit overblown. maybe you do it every once in a while, but to unplug the laptop while using it just for battery health is ridiculous

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.