Upgrading from 2007 Airport to the new one. Worth it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by HarryPot, Mar 20, 2012.

1. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

I have an Airport Extreme from 2007. It still works very well, but the range isn't that good. Some parts of my house receive very poor signal strength.

So, my doubt is, would upgrading to the new one improve this? Are there any other advantages from the one I have?

Thanks.:)

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You'll notice much more range. The current ones are very good and very fast.

3. callison macrumors newbie

do we know of any hints of a new one coming out soon? they obviously aren't as advertised/pay attention to as much as the handhelds.

sorry to piggyback off this thread, but I am looking to get one as well, and don't want to purchase 5th gen at the end of its cycle (who would?).

thanks.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Nothing now. To make the guessing even harder, the life cycles of Airport devices is very unpredictable.

5. HarryPot thread starter macrumors 6502a

Would the network be faster? Currently I want to set my Movies hard drive connected to the AE. My current problem is that streaming is slow, since it has to go from the AE, to iTunes, to the AE, and then to the Apple TV.

I have the AE in N mode only. 2.4Ghz.

The last one was released less than a year ago. If the time they take to make updates is correct, the next one should be coming out in 2013.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes. The 2007 one has a single antenna N card or 1x1. The current ones are 3x3 or three antenna and three data streams. You'll also much faster speeds at distances where you currently get very slow speeds.

The multi-year life cycle isn't always accurate. The 3rd gen Airport Extreme was only out from March 2009 to October 2009. and the 1st gen was out from January 2007 to August 2007.

7. callison macrumors newbie

Well, i saw best buy had the mid 2011 one refurbished on sale, so i guess that will suffice. I rent, and i share a house with some friends. my room is the farthest from the router. i am not spending another year with the same internet troubles :)

8. RedCroissant Suspended

Airport Extreme

I have had the same Airport Extreme Base station for more than 3 years now and it has been awesome. I have never had a single issue with it and I always have a great signal. I was even able to connect to my wireless network from my car when I came home from school and my parking spot is at least 60 feet from the router.

9. Richdmoore macrumors 65816

Richdmoore