Upgrading From 2008 iMac...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iRabid, Nov 25, 2016.

1. iRabid macrumors member

I'm in the market for a new Mac. I'm torn between the most recent 27 in 5k iMac ($1,799), or should I get the late 2015 13.3in MacBook Pro ($1,299). I know that the recent MacBook Pro came out, i'm not a fan of Apple taking away the ports and MagSafe. So I'll stick with the 2015 model.

I currently have a mid 2008 iMac with 4GB of ram (upgraded) running on 10.10.5 Yosemite. I also upgraded the HD from a 320GB to a 1TB. (I have multiple external HD)

I'll use it for the web browsing, Downloading movies/tv shows/music files, and occasional Lightroom editing, and dabble in some Final Cut Pro X.

There are currently Black Friday Deals going on for both:
    $1,799 = $1,599
    $1,299 = $1,099

2. Fishrrman macrumors G4

"I'll use it for the web browsing, Downloading movies/tv shows/music files, and occasional Lightroom editing, and dabble in some Final Cut Pro X."

For viewing movies, tv, etc. I would think the iMac offers the better experience due to the full-sized display.

You might consider HOLDING OUT for the time being, until the 2017 iMacs appear on the scene.

At that time, you'll have more choices:
    1. New iMac
    2. Older iMac (at closeout prices)
    3. 2015 MacBook Pro (will remain in lineup for the time being)

Final recommendation:
    DO NOT buy ANY iMac UNLESS it has either a 2tb fusion drive or a "straight SSD" inside.
    DO NOT buy ANY iMac with only a platter-based hard drive or a 1tb fusion drive.

If you ignore the above provisos, you may find yourself VERY disappointed in the overall performance due to slow drive speeds...