Upgrading from 2009 17" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BeMurda, Jun 24, 2013.

1. BeMurda macrumors newbie

Hey all,

I am quitting my job to become a realtor. I currently have a 17"er as described, with a 120gb intel sad, 2.8ghz core 2 duo, etc. I use Matrox Dualhead2go to get a display on my two 27" 1080p monitors at the home office. There as some frustrations with this (maximizing video gets split, etc.). But I did invest over 100 bucks on it.

I need an idea of what my mbp is worth.

I am looking for something lighter to tote around. Also, I need to decide between the 13"MacBook Air and the 13" mbp retina.

How will the performance of each compare to my old mbp?

I like my current anti glare screen. I know I can't get it though.

I have never ever used my 17" for graphics, etc. in some ways it has been a waste. I loved the screen but now I probably will be fine with the huge control centre at home and a small workspace on the road.

2. Gizmo22 macrumors regular

Gizmo22

Value - going to vary based on local and means of sale. Local Craigslist in a hipster town full of college kids and you may get $1400-$1500, just max out the RAM. Realistically, I would look for $850-$1050 depending on condition, battery, etc.

Most reviews put the Air as the better buy unless you can find a good used or refurb retina. I'm a huge retina fan for the sake of the resolution. I do not need super vivid pictures, but being able to go 1920x1200 (or even force 2880x1800) on my 15" rMBP is great for Excel and other database sheets provided you have the eye site.

Either will smoke your 2008/2009 17". No comparison on processor power - discrete video may be a factor, but doubting it pending your usage.

The Macbook Air screen is very similar to the prior year's anti-glare models.