Upgrading from 2010 MBP 13" to retina

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by loganisland, Aug 9, 2012.

1. loganisland macrumors newbie

Hey, I've been offered a mean discount on a MBP retina so I'm keen to upgrade from my mid-2010 MBP 13". It's the 2.6GHz core 2 duo, 320GB HDD, 4GB RAM model. I've got a few offers for it (about $1000) which makes the price of the retina even less in my eyes.
    I do some student film editing on FCP as well as watching lots of video and listening to music. I will be traveling with it a fair bit too.
    Just wanting some opinions on whether this is a good upgrade for my uses and I'm keen to hear from some people who have bought and used the retina.
    Also opinions on whether to purchase Applecare as I have seen a few problems with the retina and its SSD.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You don't need the retina model to do this.

3. ZacT94 macrumors regular

I bought AppleCare for my rMBP. I've had no problems with my rMBP at all since I bought it. May I ask what model rMBP you are buying? The display on the rMBP is amazing and the rMBP is quite fast. You might want consider getting a maxed out 13" Air though, if you are doing a fair bit of travel with it. It should be enough for your needs, but if you really want to buy an rMBP, go right ahead. It is an amazing machine.