Upgrading from 2010 MPB -2015 help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AT51, Jun 10, 2017.

1. AT51 macrumors newbie

I'm just about to upgrade my i7 2.6ghz 2010 MPB with separate graphics card to the 2015 2.2 ghz integrated..
    I couldn't afford higher spec & thought the newer model would still be a big improvement but am now starting to worry that I will miss that extra power. I mainly do intensive Raw editing in lightroom..

Is it ok that I didn't swap like for like & will that still be a good upgrade or should I have held out?
    Does that extra spec make much difference or is it more important to have a newer machine?

I know it may sound like a stupid question but I'm just suffering from buyers remorse & worried I've spent out a lot of money on the wrong set up & should have perhaps got an older but more powerful model!

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
    many thanks!

2. kevink2 macrumors 65816

You didn't mention any of the other spec differences. RAM in both old and new. Hard drive/solid state drive? They all contribute to the speed difference.

And whether a 5 year older system, even with discrete graphics, can make up for other newer, faster, components.

3. AT51 thread starter macrumors newbie

yes apologies. The 2010 is 8GB Ram 500SSD The 2015 is 16GB also 500 SSD.
    I was just concerned that I wouldn't notice much if any improvement from my 2010 due to the lower spec & had made a bad investment. I was really hoping to speed up my work flow...
    Thanks for any opinions.

4. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

If you use this computer for your business, just look around for some user analysis. There was already someone on this forum who posted a workload time comparison between a 2014 MBP and the 2017 model and it was only a few seconds/ job. Depending on the number of high intensity jobs that you turn out, a few seconds may or may not matter that much. A couple of hundred jobs per day may mean an hour or two of extra productivity. If you only process one or two jobs per day, the 30 extra seconds may never pay off. Take the productivity gains and then amortize it over the $2000 or whatever price you are willing to pay to see if it makes sense. Remember, the computer is a tool, and it has to make sense to your P&L if you want to spend capital.

5. robvas macrumors 68020

A 2015 will crush a 2010 they aren't even in the same league. 1.5x faster minimum, and then closet to 4x faster on things than can use all the CPU threads/cores

6. AT51 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's good to hear. I guess it just felt weird "upgrading" but at the same time losing processor power & the extra graphics card... I'd thought it would be best to get the newest machine I could afford but then in retrospect thought perhaps an older higher spec would have been better... I collect it tomorrow so will soon find out !