Upgrading from 2017 to 2018 iPad Pro, Touch responsiveness question

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kofman13, May 15, 2019 at 6:34 AM.

1. kofman13 macrumors regular

Hey guys, So as always whenever I buy new tech or upgrade to a new design of something, I go look for horror stories on forums I should be worried about and “gates” and always there are bendgates,something-gates, etc etc.

First thing I saw about the 2018 iPad was a bend gate of sorts but I researched and stop worrying because I’m going to be careful with it anyway I never drop tech or would never sit on an iPad or try to break it with my hands on purpose.

Now im reading something else I didnt see before and that is lots of threads talking about how after a few days/weeks/months the screen stops responding to touch inputs like typing and drawing sometimes and people are frustrated about it. Also they say this 2018 iPad Pro has worse touch responsiveness with screen protectors then the 2017 was. This worries me because responsiveness on my 2017 iPad Pro is fine with a Sparin tempered glass screen protector and I intend to get the 2018 version of this protector when I get the new iPad.

Is all of this really wide spread or just a few unlucky loud minority that had issues?

2. AutomaticApple macrumors 65816

AutomaticApple

iOS 12.3 has fixed all of the touchscreen issues for me.

3. DragonX macrumors regular

It is indeed a very bad problem first of all because Apple denies it exists. And for many of us it’s a hardware issue and unfortunately no software trick or an iOS update have ever fixed anything.
    Here are more recent stories from threads that are updated more often:
    https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-complain-of-screen-stuttering-issues.2176245
    https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/irresponsive-screen-ipad-pro-12-9-2nd-gen.2121051/
    https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View...touchscreen+is+unresponsive+from+time+to+time

People get it with any version of the iPad including 2018, min and Pro. Even warranty refurbished replacement may be damaged.

4. tps3443 macrumors 6502a

tps3443

after owning 3 of these iPad Pro 11” models. I can say for a fact that 12.2 iOS update has resolved the issue for me. No touch issues, no bending either.

I think you’ll be fine.

5. aevan macrumors 68030

aevan

Yup, same here.

6. HappyIntro macrumors regular

HappyIntro

Wow, that is great news that at least a portion of those affected have found relief. My iPP 12.9 3rd gen has been symptom free (so far), however my wife's iPhone 8 has tons of touch responsiveness issues, and it's driving her crazy.

7. aevan, May 16, 2019 at 9:26 AM
    Last edited: May 16, 2019 at 9:31 AM

aevan macrumors 68030

aevan

Yeah, I had minor issues, and not sure even if it's iPad issues or related to the Paperlike screen protector, but sometimes there was some unresponsiveness. It went away almost completely with 12.2 and I haven't had an issue in 12.3 so far. Not sure what the deal is - but it felt different from the issues I had with my previous iPad Pro (2nd gen). Here, I only had issues with thumb swipes, when the side of my thumb is grazing the screen, while on the previous iPad, the screen would just stop responding randomly. In any case, I feel it's gone now.

Sorry to hear about your wife's iPhone 8 issues. So, it's not just iPads that have touch related issues? Interesting.

8. Sci Fi Superfly macrumors newbie

Sci Fi Superfly

It didn’t for me

9. aevan macrumors 68030

aevan

What issues do you still have?

10. Sci Fi Superfly macrumors newbie

Sci Fi Superfly

Still touching the left side of the screen when in landscape (face id) side and does not respond.
    The same goes for the keyboard not respond to every touch.

11. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Same here, and I had gotten really frustrated with the touch issue. I'm so glad they addressed it!