Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kofman13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 6, 2009
Hey guys, So as always whenever I buy new tech or upgrade to a new design of something, I go look for horror stories on forums I should be worried about and “gates” and always there are bendgates,something-gates, etc etc.

First thing I saw about the 2018 iPad was a bend gate of sorts but I researched and stop worrying because I’m going to be careful with it anyway I never drop tech or would never sit on an iPad or try to break it with my hands on purpose.

Now im reading something else I didnt see before and that is lots of threads talking about how after a few days/weeks/months the screen stops responding to touch inputs like typing and drawing sometimes and people are frustrated about it. Also they say this 2018 iPad Pro has worse touch responsiveness with screen protectors then the 2017 was. This worries me because responsiveness on my 2017 iPad Pro is fine with a Sparin tempered glass screen protector and I intend to get the 2018 version of this protector when I get the new iPad.

Is all of this really wide spread or just a few unlucky loud minority that had issues?

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Hey guys, So as always whenever I buy new tech or upgrade to a new design of something, I go look for horror stories on forums I should be worried about and “gates” and always there are bendgates,something-gates, etc etc.

First thing I saw about the 2018 iPad was a bend gate of sorts but I researched and stop worrying because I’m going to be careful with it anyway I never drop tech or would never sit on an iPad or try to break it with my hands on purpose.

Now im reading something else I didnt see before and that is lots of threads talking about how after a few days/weeks/months the screen stops responding to touch inputs like typing and drawing sometimes and people are frustrated about it. Also they say this 2018 iPad Pro has worse touch responsiveness with screen protectors then the 2017 was. This worries me because responsiveness on my 2017 iPad Pro is fine with a Sparin tempered glass screen protector and I intend to get the 2018 version of this protector when I get the new iPad.

Is all of this really wide spread or just a few unlucky loud minority that had issues?
iOS 12.3 has fixed all of the touchscreen issues for me.

DragonX

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2013
It is indeed a very bad problem first of all because Apple denies it exists. And for many of us it’s a hardware issue and unfortunately no software trick or an iOS update have ever fixed anything.
Here are more recent stories from threads that are updated more often:
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-complain-of-screen-stuttering-issues.2176245
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/irresponsive-screen-ipad-pro-12-9-2nd-gen.2121051/
https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View...touchscreen+is+unresponsive+from+time+to+time

People get it with any version of the iPad including 2018, min and Pro. Even warranty refurbished replacement may be damaged.

Reactions: kazmac and g75d3

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA

after owning 3 of these iPad Pro 11” models. I can say for a fact that 12.2 iOS update has resolved the issue for me. No touch issues, no bending either.

I think you’ll be fine.

Reactions: AlliFlowers

HappyIntro

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2016
Yup, same here.

Wow, that is great news that at least a portion of those affected have found relief. My iPP 12.9 3rd gen has been symptom free (so far), however my wife's iPhone 8 has tons of touch responsiveness issues, and it's driving her crazy.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Wow, that is great news that at least a portion of those affected have found relief. My iPP 12.9 3rd gen has been symptom free (so far), however my wife's iPhone 8 has tons of touch responsiveness issues, and it's driving her crazy.

Yeah, I had minor issues, and not sure even if it's iPad issues or related to the Paperlike screen protector, but sometimes there was some unresponsiveness. It went away almost completely with 12.2 and I haven't had an issue in 12.3 so far. Not sure what the deal is - but it felt different from the issues I had with my previous iPad Pro (2nd gen). Here, I only had issues with thumb swipes, when the side of my thumb is grazing the screen, while on the previous iPad, the screen would just stop responding randomly. In any case, I feel it's gone now.

Sorry to hear about your wife's iPhone 8 issues. So, it's not just iPads that have touch related issues? Interesting.

Last edited:

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
I had issues with my 10.5 inch iPad last year just before I got rid of it with the screen nkt responding to swipe and touch . I now have the exact same issue with my 11 inch iPad Pro which is only a few months old and on 12.3.1. It’s definitely not an app problem as I struggled to set it back up with the same issues after a factory reset

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.