Upgrading from 2G to 3G S: update to 3.0 first?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Roller, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Roller macrumors 68020

Like many others, I'm expecting my iPhone 3G S on Friday. I was planning on updating the OS in my 2G on Wed., but I'm wondering if that'll make transferring everything to my new iPhone more difficult, especially if the OS upgrade misfires for some reason. Hopefully Apple will have some guidance on this on Wed.

2. adammull macrumors 6502a

adammull

I upgraded my 2G to 3.0 today. Landscape keyboard, cut/paste, voice memos, all of this jazz and etc. works great. But my data plan is no longer working. I tried to add it back on att.com and it says the data plan I want to add will not work with the phone "on my bill." What does that mean? Does it mean that it won't work with SW version 3.0, and somehow AT&T knows I upgraded? Or does it mean I am already in their system as a 3GS user since mine is on the way and their website now says I am not eligible for an upgrade till Feb 2011 or 18 months from the exact day I ordered my 3GS?

3. GAdawg macrumors member

How do u know your data plan is not working. I upgraded to 3.0 today as well and everything is working perfectly on my 2G!
    I am also getting a 3Gs and I don't think having 3.0 on the phone changes anything for the your 3Gs, many ppl used their old 2g as an iPod (with 2.0) when they bought a new 3g last year... so it shouldn't be any different this year

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Why would it matter what OS your iPhone is using when you upgrade phones? Your new 3GS is going to use the data on iTunes not your 2G.

5. adammull macrumors 6502a

adammull

Because when I try to check email or go to a website a message pops up, "could not activate cellular data network: You are not subscribed to a cellular data service" which is weird, because I was this morning before I uploaded 3.0 and sure enough, according to AT&T.com, I don't have a data plan and can't add one.

6. Roller thread starter macrumors 68020

That's odd, though it's something that some people (myself included) would like to do when they get their 3G S. I want to give my 2G to my son, and he doesn't want the data plan (mostly because he'd have to pay for it himself). But I've heard conflicting statements on whether AT&T supports any iPhone without a data plan.

7. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

I installed 3.0 GM on my 3G and my wifes older EDGE iPhone and have had no problems. However, there are multiple install files for each phone and for the iPod Touch. Not sure if you can install the wrong one on your phone. Are you sure you install the right one? Did the rep say how you phone was defined on there system? Do you pay for a data plan?

8. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

I turned my 2G into an iPod touch when I moved up to the 3G when my 2G transmitter crapped out. Don't quote me on this, but I think the phone part will make calls as long as there is a valid SIM card in it. None of the data features should work without a data plan, but when you are making a phone call it should act like a regular cell.

9. adammull macrumors 6502a

adammull

The phone/text works fine. Email and web only work on wifi. Everything worked fine this morning before I did the 3.0 upgrade. I used the correct file according to these forums and gizmodo. I can't downgrade now since I can't go backwards, I don't think, to 2.2.1.

I can live without data, I will have a 3GS Friday. But its still strange.

10. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

I will say this. I'm not surprised when people have problems with a phone when they install an update prior to the release of the actual update. I never have problems with windows because I use it the way it was designed to be used. I also never have any problems with the iPhone for the same reason. I don't have to have the 3.0 right now. I can wait until wednesday.

And I'm sure there are features that I would like to have on the phone that might not be included, but I'm going to wait for the multi-billion dollar international corporation who designed the thing to put that feature on instead of using a hack created by some guy in his basement.

Ok, off my soap box...

11. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

I'm not upgrading my 2G to 3.0, partly because I want the transfer to go smoothly, and partly because I want my 3G S to seem completely new to me (sounds dumb), with ALL the new features of 3.0 + camera + speed + compass, etc. I plan on waiting the two days for 3G S before I experience 3.0.

12. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

I'm the same way. If I was going from the 2G to the 3GS, I would wait as well.

Plus, given the number of people updating their 3G to 3.0, it may take two days for the update to download. ;)

13. adammull macrumors 6502a

adammull

I'm not complaining, I could care less if I have EDGE data. I was just stating so others would know not to mess with it.

Your soap box looks kinda dorky though.

Also, FYI, the link is an apple link that I downloaded it from. Not from some guy who lives in a basement.

14. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

Soap boxes generally do.;)

I thought the main MacRumors page said that update was 3GS specific and not recommended for other models. Was I mistaken?

15. adammull macrumors 6502a

adammull

There are 3.0 links for 2g models, 3g models, and Touch models. There is also the 3GS release floating around. Gizmodo had a list.

16. Roller thread starter macrumors 68020

I may end up doing the same... but we're going to have to start a support group here for people who are waiting. It's gonna be very tempting...

17. cplusON3R macrumors regular

18. adammull macrumors 6502a

adammull

No I don't, but that sounds like exactly what happened to me. I have a family plan, 4 phones, actually a business that we call a family plan. I am just chalking it up to a glitch in the system. All will be well when I get the 3GS.

19. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

Agreed! It'll be hard, but I think it will make the arrival of the 3G S that much better.

20. TheMBC macrumors 6502

Well, I suppose if you want to go through the update/backup process part first, then sure. Besides, you should be able to unlock the 2G with the 3.0 firmware regardless.

21. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

I updated my 2G to the 3.0 software with the carrier hacked file for tethering. When I go to sync the 3GS for the first time, I anticipate that it will use this file when it syncs from backup so I can tether right away.