Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reelknead1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2009
I'm sorry this is probably asked 100's of times a week but i can't find any clear answers on the forum or the internet.

I have a Iphone 3g that is unlocked and jailbroken running 3.0.1. For some reason once or twice a month my phone will say it has signal but nothing can be done on the phone that has to do with the mobile network. This is why I feel as if i should upgrade. Hopefully it will solve this issue, because getting signal to come back takes, a couple hard restarts and usually syncing with my mac.

I have watched some videos online that say that i can go into cydia and download blackra1n install the source and it will unlock it but i'm pretty sure that is after you update the OS to 3.1.2. Can someone shine some light on this for me? If there are any walk throughs for my situation that would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Reelknead1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2009

leons

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2009
All 3g JBs are untethered. And, yes, you will have to reload apps, ec.

Reelknead1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2009
That is correct. Only 3GS newer bootroms have tethered jailbreaks. All 3G models are untethered.
You will have to reinstall your JB apps and sync the appstore apps.

Thanks for the fast response. I will give it a try and let you know the outcome.

Reelknead1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2009
Thanks for the fast response. I will give it a try and let you know the outcome.

It worked AMAZINGLY!!!! Everything is up and running perfectly and can't thank you enough AppleJuiced and whoever made the program blackra1n. You could be a complete idiot and unlock an iphone with that thing.

Thanks again so much. I come to MacRumors for the Rumors but I now know if i ever need any questions asked you guys have the answers.

Thanks again I'm so :D. I was even able to get my MMS to work which never would on my old jailbreak.

Reelknead1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2009
Good luck bro.

One last question I promise.

Everything is great, My only question is when i plug it in to itunes it asks if i want to "restore from the backup of: iphone" which is my old one. If i do this is it just the pictures, movies, apps, etc or will this screw with the OS of the phone?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
One last question I promise.

Everything is great, My only question is when i plug it in to itunes it asks if i want to "restore from the backup of: iphone" which is my old one. If i do this is it just the pictures, movies, apps, etc or will this screw with the OS of the phone?

No, it wont screw anything.
It will just put back your pics, contacts and other settings you might had on that old iphone.

Reelknead1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2009
Wow thats great, otherwise i would have lost all my paid apps.

Again i can't thank you enough for helping me out. Also thanks for being nice to a iphone noob. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.