upgrading from 3GS 3.1 to 4.1?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by kidwithdimples, Sep 10, 2010.

1. kidwithdimples macrumors 6502a

My sister has an iPhone 3GS on T-Mobile with 3.1 right now. What do I need to do to upgrade it to 4.0.1?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You need SHSH's to be able to update to 4.0.1
    If you update it officially to 4.1 thru itunes you will lose the JB and unlock.
    Open up cydia and loook at the top of the page if the device has shsh's saved and for what firmware versions.

3. kidwithdimples thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes

I just opened Cydia and it says your ECID is ______________ blah blah, and If you agree, Cydia's server will keep old copies of Apple's yes, that's fine responses on "file" for your ECID for the current released Apple software.

[Make my life easier, thanks!]

Do I click on that?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, click yes on that but you are a little too late now.
    You should have done that a long time ago.
    You never opened up cydia before since you were on 3.1?
    Now the only shsh's version you will get is 4.1 and above so you wont be able to restore it to anything but firmware 4.1 and after.
    And thus losing your JB and unlock. Only thing you can do is leave it on 3.1 now and wait for a new JB and maybe a new unlock to be released for 4.1
    Or else if you update you wont be able to use it on Tmobile any more.

5. kidwithdimples thread starter macrumors 6502a

Why is it too late? Her phone still has 3.1 right now.

A few days ago my friend sold me his 3GS. It was already on 4.0.1. I simply went to jailbreak.com and it jailbreak'd it then I downloaded ultrasn0w via Cydia and everything is working fine.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Trust me it is too late.
    The SHSH's are retrieved from Apples servers, not from the phone itself.
    And the only shsh's that are beeing signed now is 4.1
    Your friends 3GS on 4.0.1 has nothing to do with this. If you were on 4.0.1 right now you could also use jailbreakme to JB your phone but itunes will never let you restore/update your phone to 4.0.1
    It will only let you install 4.1

7. kidwithdimples thread starter macrumors 6502a

So should I wait a few days for a new JB or unlock to come?

There is no way I can upgrade her 3GS 3.1 to 4.0.1? I clicked on that "Make my life easier"

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I told you above,the "make my life easier" button that you just hit now is too late. It can only backup 4.1 shsh's cause thats all that Apple is releasing now. You had to do it when 4.0.1 was the latest firmware out in order to save those shshs and be able to restore/update to that at any time.
    All you can do is wait. But even when the new JB comes out for the 4.1 it doesnt guarantee that they will also release an unlock for it so you can still use it with tmobile.
    The only firmware built you can update or restore to is 4.1
    You can try installing 4.0.1 if you dont believe me but you wont get anywhere and itunes wont let you do it.

9. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

Nope.

Only options are to leave it at 3.1 JB or upgrade to official 4.1 and leave it non JB.

10. kidwithdimples thread starter macrumors 6502a

Someone from modmyi.com told me I have the old bootrom (according to my serial #, the last 5 digits) and I can use a custom firmware to get on iOS and it won't require messing with shsh or host files.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

What did you use to JB the current iphone?
    Are you 100% you have the old bootrom?
    If yes you could create a custom 4.0 ipsw with pwnage tool and restore to that thru itunes.
    But make sure you know exactly what you're doing before you attempt anything so you dont completelly get locked out of a JB and unlock.
    Your sister will not be happy:D

12. kidwithdimples thread starter macrumors 6502a

the first 5 digit of the serial number is 84937

and it has blackra1n app on the phone.

13. iPhone-power macrumors 6502a

I'm still trying to figure out which firmware the OP wants to upgrade to since the firmware version in thread title and the initial post don't match.

14. kidwithdimples thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry for the confusion.

It currently has 3.1 on it. I want to upgrade to 4.0.1

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Cool, and the way it is JB now on 3.1 you can turn off and turn back on your iphone without having to run blackrain for it to boot up correct?
    Just making sure its not a tethered JB.
    Then you can create a custom 4.0 ipsw with pwnage and option and click restore thru itunes to that.