Upgrading from 3GS to iP4... a few questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by londoner888, Sep 9, 2010.

1. londoner888 macrumors regular

londoner888

I decided to forget about the white iP4 and pulled the trigger on the black one.
    Should be getting it delivered this Saturday.

I have a question regarding my 3GS, what is the method to totally wipe the phone and its contents before selling?

Also, just want to know, when I get my iP4, do I have to install all the apps that I'm currently using on my 3GS or can I restore these onto the new phone?

2. rkmac macrumors 6502

rkmac

Plug the 3GS into your computer, and in iTunes select it under devices on the left.

To copy all the old apps from the 3GS, click the Apps tab and click "sync apps" then sync down the bottom right.

Also, right click the 3GS under devices on the left and click "Transfer Purchases". This makes sure everything you bought on the 3GS gets transfered to your computer.

Also right click again and select "Backup". This is for the restoration of data to the iP4 later.

Then in the summary tab, click the Restore button and follow the steps. This wipes the phone.

3. nobunaga209 macrumors 6502a

nobunaga209

Congrats! If I were you...I would do the full software restore [under the settings menu] on 3GS then fill it up with useless stuff [music, podcasts, pics, etc]. All of your apps will restore to the new device when you sync with iTunes. :)

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

-Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Content and Settings

This should wipe all data completely off your phone.

-When you restore from a backup, that only restores the data of each app, but you still have to sync your apps back on.