upgrading from 4.1 to newest version

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by pourter, Jun 6, 2012.

1. pourter macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I have a jailbreak, im in version 4.1. I want to upgrade to the newest (5.something) Can I do that without screwing up my phone or bricking it?

2. ipsychedelic macrumors 6502a

ipsychedelic

Hi.
    Yes you can, go for it.

Now, if you want to retain your jailbreak apps data.. that is going to be tedious. Unless you really really need it, just copy or snapshot the apps you installed on Cydia then reinstall once you are on 5.x.

Now it's a good time, since 5.1.1 is jailbreak-able so you can upgrade and then re-jailbreak.

(Notice though, I know nothing about basebands, and my iPhone is factory unlocked).

3. pourter thread starter macrumors newbie

so I just download the upgrade on itunes, update my phone through itunes, then find the latest jailbreak from redsnow and run that?

This is going to sound very newb, but how do I take a snapshot?

4. ipsychedelic macrumors 6502a

ipsychedelic

Yes. Although I used succesfully Absinthe for all my iDevices, which came out first. I think there is a Absinthe-based redsn0w version now and I guess you could use that.

You press the lock and home buttons at the same time. It saves the snapshot straight to the cameraroll.

5. pourter thread starter macrumors newbie

won't activate

Well, I got the restore done but now it won't activate. It doesn't recognize the sim card that's in it and says to put in a sim card. I don't have one from my original service provider, jsut the new payg card I want to use.

There a way around this?

Thanks for all your help so far guys, I really appreciate it!!

6. ipsychedelic macrumors 6502a

ipsychedelic

Hmm maybe you have a baseband problem. I thought you were factory unlocked (guess only foreigners like myself are).

Maybe you need one of those Gevey Ultra S. I've read they can unlock on 5.1.1 with apparently whatever baseband you have (GSM).
    But I'm a total ignorant in this issue so hopefully somebody else can help you out.

Or you could try to buy a pre-pay card from your original provider? (I have no idea where you live and stuff, but down here in my country -South America- I can buy SIMs from any operator for about $5 USD). That way you could at least have access to the OS and then you could try another trick.
    What I'm saying is, in that "SIM unrecognized" initial screen I don't know if a Gevey thingy would work or what.

7. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

You can activate the phone when jailbreaking with redsn0w, during the process it will ask if you want to activate, do so.

Where you using ultrasn0w to unlock and use the payg card on 4.1?

If so you unfortunately now have a problem. Using stock 5.1.1 will have upgraded your BaseBand to 4.12.01 which currently cannot be unlocked.

8. pourter thread starter macrumors newbie

I just checked on tiny umbrella, 06.15.00-6.4_M3S2 is the baseband and the firmware is 5.1.1. Is there someway I can revert back?

Man this is like a twisted web, everytime I get a solution some other problem crops up.

9. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

If you upgrade you need a custom firmware. You're sort of screwed by having the iPad baseband on phone, and no, it's impossible to downgrade the baseband.

10. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

Sn0wbreeze can help you create a custom IPSW. I don't deal with baseband issues though so that's about all I can say.

11. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

Actually sn0wbreeze preserves your BB automatically.

No you cannot revert back, but it should work this way, otherwise reflash your iPad BB again using redsn0w.

You can jailbreak it now using redsn0w.

12. pourter thread starter macrumors newbie

Sim

Well, I got the new redsnow, and the ipsw they suggest and went through the steps, but now its saying I have to get the sim card from my original service provider so I can't activate it.

13. pourter thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool, I got an untethered JB done, and got it back up and running. Now i'm getting the no service/searching problem. Most of the instructions to fix that involve jailbreaking again, however RedSnow won't let me, it says my phone is already jailbroken.
    I installed ultrasnow fixer but it didn't help!

14. pourter thread starter macrumors newbie

Mission Accomplished

Ok, got it fixed. For anyone who's keeping score, i followed the instructions below.

http://ihelpcorner.com/FixNoService51

To get around the tethered install I went into cydia and got rocky racoon and installed it.

To get around the sim card no service problem i got ultrasn0w fix 5.1.1

I used iphone configuration utility to create a profile with new APN details to use with my new provider.

I still have the 6.15.00 band base, so that didn't change.