Upgrading from 4s to 5s: when?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ekabil, Sep 13, 2014.

1. ekabil macrumors newbie

Hi, I am planning to upgrade from 4s to 5s. I have AT&T. With the iPhone 6 coming out, is now a good time to do it? Have the prices on 5s models dropped already? If I should wait, what is the date by which I can expect the 5s price to bottom out for the near future?

Also, my data plan currently is some mobile sharing plan where basically I buy the phone myself, either on my own or via AT&T at a flat monthly rate (AT&T next I think). In order to get the best overall price on the new phone, and save the most money, should I
    A) take my old 4s (in perfect condition) to the apple store and trade in to get the 5s from them, or
    B) should I sell it on my own (have a $113.00 quote from usell.com, valid for a few more weeks) and get the new phone from AT&T store.

What would you all recommend? Thanks a lot.

2. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Yes, prices for the 5s have already dropped. 16GB model is $99/549 and 32GB model is $149/599. Unlock your phone to increase resale value. Check out what the going rate it at Swappa for the 4s and also trade in at Apple and AT&T If selling online, be mindful of PayPal and shipping fees since that's going to reduce how much you make. Go with whatever gives you the highest money (net of any fees).

3. LandoVol macrumors member

LandoVol

Upgrading from 4s to 5s: when?

call AT&T and get them to unlock your 4S as long as you're out of contract they should do it. I think they will do it even if you're in contract if you ask but not sure. Then list the 4S on eBay and ask $400+ for the phone. If it's in decent condition and is an unlocked GSM/AT&T phone you will get a lot for it.

Make sure you use eBay because people on Craigslist will low ball you and you'll make a lot more. A buddy of mine just sold his year old iPhone 5 for $550

Profit
    Profit
    Profit

Buy the iPhone 6 or 6+

Good luck.

4. groupersandwich macrumors 6502

Isn't AT&T offering $200 trade-in for the 4S?