Upgrading from 4th Gen Airport Exterme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by webpoet73, Nov 1, 2014.

1. webpoet73, Nov 1, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2014

webpoet73 macrumors regular

I currently have a 4th Gen AE. I feel like I am not getting good speeds downstairs. (This is prior to and after upgrading to Yosemite)

I can get a 5th Gen off of Craigslist for 75.
    I can get a 6th Gen off of Craigslist for 150.

I am sure the 6th gen will get better speeds at greater distances. We do have a few ac devices (iPhone 6, Macbook Air). I am trying to get better Wifi without spending too much money.

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Obviously the 6th generation will be better. However, I recommend that you go with Apple Refurbished rather than Craigslist. You will get a full 1 year warranty and support as well as being covered under another devices AppleCare.

3. webpoet73 thread starter macrumors regular

True. I missed a chance to get a 5th gen in the refurbished store for ... 85 bucks, I think. By now, the chances are low to get a 5th gen as a refurb. I do see 6th gen refurbs going for 169...

New 6th gen ones on Amazon are going for 188.

However, money is kind of tight right now, so I am trying to figure out the best deal and bang for my limited buck... and Craigslist seemed to be my best shot.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I do not see the 5th generations available on the Refurbished Store anymore. That being said, perhaps you can get a good deal on one via the Marketplace. The refurbished 6th generation is available here.

5. webpoet73 thread starter macrumors regular

The Marketplace?

I see the refurbed 6th Gen. on Apple's site. Only saves 30 bucks off of Apple's price or 16 over Amazon's price for a new one. (Amazon has it for 185)... '