iPhone Upgrading from 6.1.3 to 7.0.4

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Smokin House, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Smokin House macrumors newbie

Smokin House

Hey people, I wouldn't normally ask this question but this time feel the need to due to no software to make custom ios7 firmware and with newer versions of itunes not accepting custom firmware.

I am thinking of upgrading from 6.1.3 to 7.0.4 on my iphone 4.

Before you all jump on and say "You cant do it now because apple are only signing 7.1 now", I have my blobs for 7.0.4 saved on the cydia server and locally on the pc ;)

I also have not updated my itunes for some time so that is still on version 11.0.4.4

I used tinyumbrella to get the blobs so I believe they are stable blobs.

My question then is:

If I want to update to 7.0.4 do I run TU (with my blobs there) behind itunes and shift/restore with the official restore 7.0.4 firmware and then jailbreak with evasion as if it was an original install?

Basically what I'm saying is, will the blobs running on the TSS server still sign my 7.0.4 that I try to install with itunes?

Any assistance would be appreciated :)

ps the only god dam reason im thinking of upgrading is because tons of apps from the app store are now ios7+ (WHAT A PAIN!)

2. 007p macrumors 6502a

No you can't update to 7.0.4.

I know your using an iphone 4, and maybe soon you will be able to. But right now iTunes 11 afaik doesn't accept custom firmware. A workaround needs to be found, that doesn't use iTunes to restore the firmware. Currently there isn't even a way to downgrade iphone 4 from 7.1 to 7.0.x - well not publicly. You can only use an old version of iTunes to go back to ios 6 (from 7.x).

I would stick on 6 for the time being, then hopefully a new method of installing custom firmware will be out and you can go to 7.0.4 with your blobs. I think sn0w is working on one, but hasn't really been any progress updates on it lately.

Alternatively, you could jump to 7.1 and tether jailbreak when that comes out in the very near future (within the next couple of weeks - or you can use one right now but its not in 'english'). But you may prefer to stick with untethered.

3. Smokin House thread starter macrumors newbie

Smokin House

Thanks for the reply but I wouldn't be installing custom firmware as I know there's nothing out there to make a custom 7. What I'm asking is if my blobs running on tu will still sign OFFICIAL 7.0.4 firmware when installed with iTunes.

Also I believe it was from 11.1 that the custom firmware got blocked on iTunes.

4. dhlizard, Mar 14, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2014

dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

There is no way to install 7.0.4 on iPhone 4 since neither of the two apps (Sn0wbreeze or Redsn0w) is capable of doing so for iOS7, Apple doesn't even use SHSH for authentication in iOS7.

You can install older iOS6 firmware on iPhone4 (up to 6.1.3 using Sn0wbreeze) but not iOS7

TinyUmbrella won't work for hosts past iOS4

5. Smokin House thread starter macrumors newbie

Smokin House

No offence but OMG!!! guys I'm NOT trying to install a custom firmware!!!!!!

If apple do not use shsh to sign firmware for 7+ then what was the point in TU having the capability of getting SHSH? seems pointless really.

What do they use now then if not SHSH/APTicket?

6. 007p macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty sure that you are forced to used 'custom firmware' when you re-build it using your shsh/aptickets. As said, TU won't work for hosts.

You also need itunes 11.1 to install ios 7. Which is the version it started blocking custom firmware. I don't have an iphone 4, so I haven't actually done anything like this and am no means an expert. But I am fairly certain what you want to do isn't possible, for now.

Here is what sn0w 'blogged' when ios 7 got released, maybe this will explain it better?

7. dhlizard, Mar 14, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2014

dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

I know that, but you do not understand how Apple authentication functions.
    Custom firmware does not only include preserving baseband.
    Do some additional reading, you will eventually understand.

8. Smokin House thread starter macrumors newbie

Smokin House

OK Cheers guys.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can't do it dude.
    Try it and see how far you get.
    You need redsnow or snow breeze to be updated and be able to create a custom Ipsw with those saved blobs stitched on it.
    You cannot restore to official noncustom firmware even if you have blobs saved. Those days are over.

10. Smokin House thread starter macrumors newbie

Smokin House

Gutted. It seems that apple is trying every way possible to stop us jailbreakers. What have they got to hide ffs!

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Tell me about. They're been making it harder and harder with every software and hardware update.
    But the jb community sooner or later always comes with ways around things;)

12. Smokin House thread starter macrumors newbie

Smokin House

Agreed. It's almost like try have the 'bill gates syndrome', they want to monopolise everything!

Well fingers crossed. Hopefully we will get something soon.