Upgrading from 6S to the X, a comparison

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eye.surgeon, Nov 7, 2017.

1. eye.surgeon, Nov 7, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2017

eye.surgeon macrumors 6502

I reluctantly upgraded from what I feel is the best iphone Apple made, the 6S, to the X. Some observations.

I dislike facial recognition. For me it's slower, less reliable, and less convenient. I can't turn my X on lying on my desk. I have to either key in the passcode or pick it up for facial recognition to work. It won't work with my surgical mask on, I spend two days a week in the operating room. Won't work.

It feels no faster than my 6S. I don't play games, but I have been using every app I commonly use as well as imessaging, email, and safari/chrome, and it feels no different.

I love wireless charging but it's laughably ridiculous that a wireless charger is not included at this price point. Not even a fast charger, apple? Guess that trillion dollars stashed in Jersey isn't enough.

The notch. Not a big deal for me.

The screen is wonderful. Size and form factor is nice, but the screen ratio is odd.

Animoji. I think it's fine but embarrassing that apple chose to highlight this as a major selling point of the phone. It's a teenage girls gimmick at best. Watching gray haired men on stage excited about it was head-scratching.

All glass design is beautiful but I would prefer apple focus more on ruggedizing the phone and less on making it look like a museum piece.

Overall, I kind of wish I kept my 6S. Gave it to my daughter.

2. flat five macrumors 603

flat five

it will, however, work with your surgical gloves on whereas touchID won't..
    so, pick your poison ;)

i'm going to go out on a limb here but...

i bet she'll trade you
    :)

3. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

That’s a true testament to Apple. A 3 year old phone is still relevant.

4. butterfly2 macrumors newbie

butterfly2

5. Swampthing Suspended

Swampthing

That's strange. They always tell patients ZERO cellphone use anywhere there is active medical equipment. What are you doing with a cellphone in the operating room?

6. thasan macrumors 65816

7. eye.surgeon thread starter macrumors 6502

Because it's not 2005 any more.

8. tonyy macrumors 6502a

tonyy

Very fair and valid points. Everyone has different and unique situations whereas each phone isn’t a “one size fits all.”

I have my issues with the X too, coming from the 7 Plus.

9. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68030

BugeyeSTI

I'm going to join the OP soon. Only difference is my trusty 6S is staying as a back up. I have nothing bad to say about my 6S, I'm just ready for something newer and different...

10. Aydy macrumors 6502

Aydy

Nitpicking here but the 6s was released on septembers end 2015 which makes it little over 2 years old. However it doesnt take away from what you were getting at imo

11. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

I upgraded from a 6S also. Feels a lot faster and smoother to me just from navigating round iOS.

My 6S was a great phone though.

12. MH01 Suspended

MH01

Good summary. In the past it would have been a no brainier, and now I'm undecided between the 7 plus and X - the 7 plus just feels more intuitive to use .... another week..

13. 12CTCT12 macrumors newbie

If you saw what my gloves look like after a case you wouldn’t want me touching your phone!

14. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

YouTube how to videos? (;

15. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I also contemplated selling my iPhone 6s to Apples trade in program or retaining it. As of right now, I decided to keep my iPhone 6s Plus, being it really is a great iPhone and I always like to have a backup in case anything happens to my newest iPhone.

16. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68030

BugeyeSTI

The only negative with the 6S in my opinion is no OIS on the camera. If it had that, I possibly would use it for another year... Probably the best phone I’ve owned.

17. Hal~9000 macrumors 68020

Hal~9000

I plan on keeping my 6s until it no longer works :)

It's a great phone which I'm completely happy with. I'll keep it on iOS 10.3.3 so I don't have to worry about any degraded performance (such as with iOS 11). The battery is still at 97.5% of its original capacity according to coconut, and simply get a battery replacement from Apple if it drops below 75% in the next 2-4 years.

18. Swampthing Suspended

Swampthing

funny. perhaps you live with the Jetsons. here in 2017 i was in a car crash a couple weeks ago and they still prohibited cellphone usage. most airplanes still tell you to turn off cellphones too.

i guess you are the leader of the pack forging ahead where no one else is yet allowed to...

19. adrianlondon macrumors 65816

adrianlondon

My 6S works great (imo) with iOS 11 .2.

20. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

Yes, but Apples updates will do it in.........soon.

21. Tripletap macrumors member

Tripletap

LOL everyone not scrubbed or circulating is always on their phones during OR procedures. If it’s a long case and your vitals are doing fine even the CRNA is playing on their iPhone. In the old days they were reading a book or a magazine so it’s nothing new. I can have to stand and wait for an hour for my part in the case. It’s soooo boring when you have seen the same cases for decades. I agree face ID is so annoying with a mask on, but coming from a 6s also, I love the phone.
    Oh and the no phone policy is just so you don’t record us talking about your naked body. Just kidding :D

22. Super Xander macrumors regular

Super Xander

Trade your X to your daughter and get the 6S back. I also think she would be more happy with a X.