Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which one should I upgrade or not?

• Switch to XR

• Switch to SE(2020)

• Don't upgrade now

Results are only viewable after voting.

Starcrowl

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2017
I've been using my 8 Plus since more than 2 years now, battery life is still holding up (%86) but since warranty is ended, i consider switching to a new model. Is it a good idea to switch now or should I replace the battery in future and go on?

Reactions: HKDesign

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
New iPhones will probably be announced in September and available a little later. Why not wait and see what comes out before deciding? It doesn't seem like you're in urgent need of a new phone, as the 8+ is still a very good phone, and your battery is doing Ok. Even if you don't like the new iPhone 12 lineup, you could probably get a much better deal on an XR or an 11.

Shaun R

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2020
Austin, TX
I got the 8+ when it was first released and just retired it for the new SE. I’ll miss the big screen at times but like everything else about this phone. It’s nice to be using a small phone again. 199 Walmart ATT deal is what sold me in the end.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
The iPhone 12 lineup will likely be revealed in as few as 6 weeks. I wouldn't recommend anyone getting a new iPhone right now unless your current one isn't functioning and you need a replacement.

Furthermore, I wouldn't consider the Xr to be a significant upgrade over the 8 Plus. It's only about 1 year newer. I don't think it makes much sense to replace a device that's nearly 3 years old with one that's nearly 2 years old. Might as well invest in something more current that will likely last you for at least a few years. If not one of this year's new 12's, the price of the 11/11 pro will go down.

Last edited:

TantalizedMind

Suspended
Feb 5, 2007
I have an iPhone XR and I’m not giving it up anytime soon. I’ve had it for 2 years. I can see getting another 2 years easily. Only thing I miss is 16x9 screen ratio. But this thing has an INCREDIBLE battery. That matters most to me.

I bought mine for $749 but I think they sell for $599 now.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I've been using my 8 Plus since more than 2 years now, battery life is still holding up (%86) but since warranty is ended, i consider switching to a new model. Is it a good idea to switch now or should I replace the battery in future and go on?

Not enough information here. Do you prefer the physical home button? Do you have any experience with Face ID or any preferences of the newer iPhone models? Otherwise, it’s also rumored if you prefer the physical touch button of the larger ‘Plus’ model, the iPhone SE plus is likely coming 2021 in the second quarter. It’s something to think about if you don’t need to upgrade.

Reno Raines

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2015
I use an 8+ and bought the new SE. Still love the 8+ for the bigger screen but will eventually migrate to my SE. Love the Touch ID. That is my preference.

Reactions: Starcrowl

Starcrowl

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2017
Think I'll get AW4 44mm second hand with 1 year warranty left for 280 dollar, thanks for all the answers :)

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I am still using my 8+ and I guess what I enjoy about it the most is Touch ID (with the need to wear masks outside and all). You should probably wait till the end of the year for the iPhone 12 to be announced before considering an upgrade; a SE would be a downgrade in almost every way compared to your 8+ (you get a smaller screen and less battery life).

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I'd say don't upgrade.

There is no direct replacement for the 8 Plus. The 2020 SE is a straight replacement for the regular 8, so unless you don't mind downsizing, it's probably not what you're looking for.

The XR is more of the "upgrade" for Plus users, but right now, imo the XR is a poor value. Not only it costs $200 more than the 2020 SE, it will be supported a year less vs the cheaper 2020 SE.

If you want to upgrade now, the iPhone 11 is the best choice, if it's within your budget.
If you don't mind a smaller phone, the 2020 SE is also an excellent choice.
Only go with the XR if you must upgrade today, don't want a smaller phone, and cannot afford the 11.

Since we are only about 3 months into the release of new iPhones, best bet if to wait for the 12 lineup. At the least, you will be able to get the XR or 11 at a discount. I'd say get your battery replaced to hold you by.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
I ‘sidegraded’ from my iPhone 8 Plus (89% battery capacity) to an iPhone SE in April as I prefer touch I’d and the classic form factor. Yes I miss the larger 1080p display and battery life of the 8 plus, but at the same time really appreciate the compact, 1 handed form factor of the SE. As I also have my iPad Air for extended media consumption, I get about 2 days battery life on average with my SE, so not bad at all. Also the cameras on the SE, have significantly better image quality than the 8 plus in my opinion, due to the A13 Bionic chip.

I voted to not upgrade however, as the 12 series is a couple of months away, so just keep your 8 plus until then!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.