Upgrading from 8GB to 16GB on refurbed MBP (early 2013)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LincolnsiPod, Oct 22, 2013.

1. LincolnsiPod macrumors 6502

Just bought a refurbed MBP (early 2013) with 8GB pre-installed. I want to install another 8GB, but I was wondering if a module will be available to add another 8GB stick, especially if Apple used two 4GB sticks instead of one 8GB stick for the memory. Has anyone had experience upgrading from 8GB to 16GB on their own? What brand RAM would you recommend?

2. Liquinn Suspended

I hope you're joking. The RAM in the retinas are soldered on.

3. StockDC2 macrumors regular

And I hope you're joking that you automatically assume that he has a Retina MBP.

OP, Apple ships their 8GB configuration with 2 x 4GB modules. You'll need to purchase a 2 x 8GB kit in order to get to 16GB.

Brand doesn't make a difference unless it's generic stuff. Look at the timings and voltages and pick whichever fits in your budget.

4. J@ffa macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

There is no 2013 non-retina MacBook Pro, so it's a reasonable assumption. But yeah, if is a 2013 model, unfortunately you can't upgrade the RAM.

5. Liquinn Suspended

There is no such thing as a early 2013 cMBP.

6. LincolnsiPod, Oct 22, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2013

LincolnsiPod thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, it's Retina, shame that it's soldered on. I'm coming from using a mid-2010 MBP where I was able to easily swap out RAM in 5 minutes to upgrade from 4GB to 8GB, just assumed it would be the same with any new MBP.

I use Aperture on occasion so I was hoping the extra 8GB would help avoid page swapping issues.

Then again, this will be my chance to see how well Mavericks works its memory compression magic. :D