Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
You know... I just thought of something. You could restore your backup data to get all of your 3rd party data and settings. Once that's all done, go into Settings>General>Reset>Reset All Settings. This will clear all system settings but leave application data and settings in place. This is a pretty safe method and it does the same thing as setting up new.

How about a confirmation on this? Possibly a new post? :) I'd like to see what others think of this idea and whether it would be the same, since you're the first to being it up. It would certainly be easier. I guess it makes some sense, but IDK enough about the OS to be sure.

Oh ok that makes me feel better. Just out of curiosity what is the reason for this?

The reason given is that the OS 3.0 for the 3G is different than the 3GS, so you don't get a clean install for the 3GS if you just restore a backup that was from OS 3.0 for the 3G.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
How about a confirmation on this? Possibly a new post? :) I'd like to see what others think of this idea and whether it would be the same, since you're the first to being it up. It would certainly be easier. I guess it makes some sense, but IDK enough about the OS to be sure.

I've done it. It does indeed work. It doesn't reset third party apps, but it puts all the system stuff back to defaults (home screen arrangement, settings, network settings). It still keeps all of your data, including text conversations, notes, bookmarks, camera roll, music, videos, podcasts... etc.

If you have any questions about this method, go ahead and ask.

brh12

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2009
Nice! I just tried this myself and after a quick 5 minutes to move my apps back to my personal preferences, I am back to the normal look with the reset settings. We'll see if it helps with the battery life.

thanks

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
Nice! I just tried this myself and after a quick 5 minutes to move my apps back to my personal preferences, I am back to the normal look with the reset settings. We'll see if it helps with the battery life.

thanks

You're welcome. It worked for me as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.