Upgrading from a 2.0 CD to a 2.2+C2D?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ktbubster, Oct 20, 2007.

  1. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

    ktbubster

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2007
    Location:
    US
    #1
    Ok, so I have read around the forums and such a bit, but I got a refurb 2.0 Ghz CD mbp last year around this time and with leopard coming out and all the recent changes to the MBP (processor and screens etc) I was thinking about selling this one, and getting a new 2.2 (or maybe middle 2.4) C2D 15inch Mbp to replace it.

    I love my machine, but with all the 3d modeling I do for my major in windows via bootcamp/vmware and extensive use of CS3 I was thinking that the updated processor and ability to add more ram could be a nice boost in speed and performance. Not to mention my 80gb harddrive is looking rather small and an upgrade would be good, but replacing it myself miht not be worth it if i can just upgrade for around the same price anyway.

    I was just wonderin if anyone has done this recently or if I would really notice a decent bump in speed from my 2.0 CD to a 2.2 C2D. I'd assume something maybe, but would it be worth it? Or would you suggest holding off until January where we MIGHT see something?

    I have seen my computer (I have apple care as well) going for almost what I paid for it last year, so the couple hundred to upgrade doesn't bother me if I will really see a difference, I've been saving a bit lately.

    I've also been toying with the idea of downgrading to a macbook for my portable needs and adding a new iMac instead but with all the negatives on the 20 inch screens and the random problems circulating with them, (not to mention i'm not sure a 2 computer set up is ideal for me right now) i've decided to hold off.

    any thoughts? I searched the threads, but didn't see anything semi recent.
     
  2. tersono macrumors 68000

    tersono

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2005
    Location:
    UK
    #2
    The difference isn't massive - especially not in day-to-day use, but for your 3D apps, it might well be enough to make a difference. Certainly comparing my new 17" MBP 2.4 with a 2.0 CD with stuff like photoshop, there's a difference. Whether it's enough difference to be worthwhile depends on the Application and is going to be very subjective.

    Given the relatively low cost of exchanging, it might well be worth the effort - especially if you can pick up a refurb, which would be even cheaper, but if you can, try to play with a new machine before you decide.
     

Share This Page