Upgrading from a 30GB 5G, to a iPod Touch..(Questions)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by PropofolMD, Dec 3, 2008.

1. PropofolMD macrumors newbie

Well, I've been using my 5G 30G for about 2 or so years ago and it's worked flawless. I've been using it for hours and hours on end each in every day for music, podcast, and games and it hasn't failed me once. To be blunt , I trust Apple as far as MP3 players go. But now, I think I may want to upgrade.

Now I defiantly know for a fact that I'm getting a touch. But right know, I'm debating between the 32GB and the 16GB.

First of all, I'd like to know if there's a size difference between the the two, I understand they use flash memory but I could have sworn I saw a case clearly stating it was made for 8 and 16GB iPod, as of to suggest the 32GB's were to big.

I'd also be interested in screen protectors, typically I have my iPod in my jeans, maybe with key(I try not to...:() And after I will I noticed a few not-so nice scarches on the screen, so I bought this Belkin screen protector film thingy, and it has worked great.

BUTTTTTT....

....With the iPod touch, of course the screen isn't just for watching, and I want to know I should avoid a certain type/brand that would reduce the effectiveness of the screen or potentially damage it? What brands ARE recommended.

And finally, how much space do you actually get to use? I know with my 30G it was something like 27/30...I'm debating spending the extra cash on the 32GB version. How much space do apps take up?(I'm planning on downloading alot.) And I'm constantly downloading new podcast so my libarary is always growing. I don't actually get new music that much though.

Some opinions and answered would be appreciated thanks in advance.:D

2. therealdt macrumors regular

Best toy ever, I bought a 16GB it had I think 14/15. Right now I have 341 songs, 12 videos, 3 pics, and about 5/6 apps. After all this I have 9GB to play with. Give or take a few, it's upstairs resting, so my number might be off.

The ipod screen is great for watching, I watched the wire, dave chappelle, supertroopers, etc.

I don't use a case, nor a screen protector

3. 11800506 macrumors 65816

A good screen protector is something like an InvisibleShield. I have one on mine and it's great because it protects the entire iPod while letting you enjoy the form factor. And no, the 32 GB touch is not any bigger in size. You might want to wait until MacWorld if you can simply because of the rumors of a 32 GB iPhone, which might suggest that Apple would release a 64 GB iPod touch (because the iPhone has 1 memory slot, while the iPod touch has 2) and thus drop the price, but this is simply speculation.

Apps don't take up that much space but since you already have 27 GB filled up, I would suggest the 32 GB Touch instead of the 16 as it always is nice to have all of your files with you.

4. Socorso macrumors member

Touch is a great upgrade

I've got 391 songs (Apple Lossless), 15 hours of podcasts, 3.9 hours of movies, 47 apps and still have over 5 gigs left of my 16.

Best money I've ever spent.

5. PropofolMD thread starter macrumors newbie

Does Invisible shields hinder the performance of the screen in anyway

6. acedew macrumors member

No, it doesn't.

If you aren't wanting to spend the extra money for the 32GB version, and you're willing to manage your library a little better, then you'll be happy with the 16GB version. Otherwise, just get the 32GB version. Here's how I've had to manage my library:

I switched from a fully loaded 30GB 5G to a 16GB Touch (it's got 14.5GB of usable space). I am heavy into podcasts, so I've had to start managing that a little better. I only keep new podcasts and favorite podcasts on it, and it helps that you can download them directly onto the Touch and delete them directly from the Touch as well. There is also a program called Stitcher that is like Pandora for podcasts, so you can just stream everything.

I only have about 5 GB of music and my library isn't growing very fast, especially because I can use the Pandora app on the Touch. I also only keep about 10 TV episodes or so on it instead of whole seasons like I used to. I also have roughly 500 photos and many, many apps loaded. The end result is that I have about 5 GB still free, which leaves me plenty of room to be sloppy and start accumulating stuff before I'd have to clean it up. Apps are not an issue, they are small and I have room for plenty more, and I limit my three email accounts to 50 messages. I no longer have any need for a 32GB version.

Oh, and the Touch screen is glass compared to that cheap plastic on the 5G that got scratched just by wiping it with a soft cloth. I always kept my 5G in the suede sleeve, even when listening to it, but I use my Touch without a case or sleeve. It's not going to scratch in my pocket. I'm going to order one soon, but only because I'm afraid of dropping it.

7. PropofolMD thread starter macrumors newbie

I want to clear some thing out, I used only 7 GB of the 30 on my current iPod. What I meant is that when I bought it, I couldnt use all 30 GIGS, only 27, because the rest was preassigned to the OS and stuff.

8. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

There's no size difference between the 32 and 16GB. Your iPod has a plastic screen, whereas the iPod touch has a glass screen, so the touch is much harder to scratch. I have one on my touch more for the texture of the thing rather than the actual protection. Because of the method the ipod touch uses to detect touches, the screen protectors make no difference as to the effectiveness of the screen. I have almost four full pages of apps, and they take up about ~330 MB.

In general, a completely empty hard drive has 93% of the rated GB, so a 32GB touch has 29.76GB, then minus the OS (about 150MB) gives you a grand total of maybe 29.61GB of usable space. With the same formula, a 16GB will have 14.73GB of usable space.

I have a rebel touch case that I use with my iPod, but I'd recommend the new switcheasy neotouch. It's cool, thin, and has lots of great extras like screen protectors and a stand to rest your ipod on when watching videos.

9. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

Really don't mean to threadjack, but is the rebel touch sticky? Does it pick up lint? I currenty have an incase rubber case that is OK, but these things seriously look awesome, but they may not be good for me. Also, does it fit really tightly, because I have an invisible shield, and it will not let me use certain cases.

To the OP: I have a 32gb 2g and it really only has 29.6gb available to use, but it is recommended that you have at least 500mb free to keep it running efficiently. I currently have 1879 songs (95% are in 256kbps AAC), 122 videos ranging from 2 minutes to 3 hours, 946 photos, and 43 apps on it. I have 5.7gb free. Be prepared to have a quickly expanding iTunes library when you get your touch. I had about 500 songs and about 5 videos before my touch, and that has obviously grown (I am not putting my entire library on either, it is currently 95gb). There is no size difference, and I use an invisible shield for my screen protector zagg.com, and [
    this incase cover, but I am seriously looking at the neotouch and rebel touch

10. ctrooper742 macrumors newbie

I'm doing the exact same transition as you are from 30 GB video to iPod touch. I personally got the 32 GB touch because I had many movies on my video and I want to expand that plus the touch has a beautiful screen, why not take advantage of it? :)

11. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

The Rebel isn't sticky at all. The hard plastic skeleton has some grip, but the soft plastic is actually very smooth. I was surprised. It is a snug fit, but if the invisible shield is thin, you should be fine.