iPhone 6(S)(+) Upgrading from a 6s Plus?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AzNTypeR, Jan 20, 2019.

1. AzNTypeR macrumors newbie

Looking at getting a new iPhone but I have literally no idea what to get. Currently have a 6s Plus, and in an ideal world, I would continue to use it but it's a 16gb and even with my photos on iCloud and streaming all of my music, it's always maxed out. I often find the phone resetting my settings and failing to open apps because it's 100% full.

Now, I'm looking to get a 128gb+ for my next phone but I'm not sure which iPhone.
    Here is what I've looked at so far:
    • 7 Plus: half the price of an XR, but I will be having the same design again
    • XR: I really like the sound of one, but I'm not sure if I like the bezels
    • X: Only capacity bigger than 128gb is the 256gb, but that's pushing £900
    • XS Max: I love this, but the price tag is absurd

Am I missing anything major out? I was considering an 8 Plus too, but the prices (for an "old" phone) haven't fallen at all since the releases of the new phones.

What would you do?

2. mtneer macrumors 68030

mtneer

My response would be based on how good you are at controlling yourself from temptation in the future. If you assess that you can't hold back from spending more money in a year or two, then get the 7 Plus. If you really chalk up your resolve to use and stay with your phone for the next 5 years, then get the XR.

3. AppleHaterLover macrumors 65816

Are you a hawk? How’s your eyesight?

Some people on this forum would swear to death they can very clearly see the individual pixels on the XR’s screen and that it is the worst thing in the history of the world like, ever. In this case, get a XSM.

But unless you have Spiderman eyesight, and given that you consider the XSM price to be absurd (so do I), you’d be better off with a XR.

Take advantage of the $250 or therabouts Apple is offering for your phone and upgrade! You’ll get to know a better version of this world, where 12PM charging is not required.

4. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

8 Plus is pretty much the X in the body of a 6s / 7 Plus. So if you don’t want to pay as much as the X but want the specs then get the 8 Plus. I had it and will buy again if I needed to.

5. tonybarnaby macrumors 65816

XR if you don’t mind a non 1080p phone. If you consider the 7+, spend a few more bucks to get the 8+. Despite what 7+ owners say, it isn’t just a 7+ with wireless charging.

XR, then 8+ and finally 7+. The difference between these phones is only a few bucks, so don’t let $100 dictate what phone you buy and may use for years.

6. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

7. AzNTypeR thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys, but the prices (from what I've seen) is around £500 for the 7+, £850 for the 8+ and £900 for the X and XR as I'd be looking at the 256gb ones. Would you still recommend the 8+ under these circumstances?

8. cableguy84 macrumors 65816

cableguy84

I went from 6s plus to 8 plus. Very happy with it.

Newish design (glass back)
    I get to keep touch id
    No stupid notch
    Lightning fast processor
    3d touch (not included with XR)
    Much improved screen over 6s

9. StellarVixen macrumors 65816

StellarVixen

Me, personally, would buy an XS Max. Zero compromises, only downside is price.

If the XS Max is out of your price range, and you want the newest and most affordable iPhone that you can get, get the XR.

If you want something significantly better than your 6S, but do not want to spend a lot of money at all, get the 7 or 8.

My $0.02...

Did you just assume my species?

10. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

You don’t upgrade often, I would not purchase the iPhone 7, so why not take a advantage of the iPhone XR? The result being, you have the most up-to-date processor and longevity throughout the lifespan of the phone.

11. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

Personally, I think 8 Plus is solid value for money if you want to keep the convenience of Touch ID.

AND also what @cableguy84 said.

The lack of 3D Touch is going to annoy the hell out of me!

12. Ryuko macrumors newbie

Ryuko

Recently bought 7+ and XR with 128gb. Both solid phones. The 7+ was £280 (barely used, battery health at 97%), and the XR £580 (traded in old iPhone 6). I think you can get a better price for a 7+.

I used both for a week, kept XR in the end (husband took other one). The main reason was that the 7+ was just slightly too wide for my hands. XR is still big (and actually slightly heavier!), but manageable. Second reason is the camera, 7+ is decent but has artifacts in low light. Don't notice the notch at all, Face Id is easy to like. Wet fingers, no problem. Wireless charging is actually pretty handy too.

I came from Pixel and 6s. Pixel battery is supposed to be great but it'd randomly shut off at 35%, not cool. The 3D touch messed up on my 6s so I'm not missing it at all.

If you really hate the look of the notch get the 7+ to tide you over, otherwise I wholly recommend XR. It just really feels like a new experience, and I like not having to charge my phone for 2 days.

Typing this from my XR. ;)

13. NorthSeaBeach macrumors 6502

There's a lot of pristine used 8 Plusses for sale for great prices if you don't mind them being used. That's what I did after I returned my Xr because of the screen that was not acceptable to me (fuzzy with small print).
    Saved me loads of money and I'm happy!

14. Motionblurrr macrumors 6502

I would go with an 8 Plus. I recently upgraded from a 6 Plus (non-S!!!) and the difference is insane.

This thing is a monster and it keeps up with a XS Max without breaking a sweat. I could've gotten a XS but I really wanted to get the last home button iPhone in the most refined package. 100% don't regret it.

15. ericwn macrumors 68020

16. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I would say that might be dependent if somebody was more interested in touch ID versus face ID. But the advantage being the dual camera and 3D Touch to the 8, but they both do share quite a few characteristics with each other in terms of included features.