Upgrading from a Macbook 1,1

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by andruw000, Nov 7, 2010.

1. andruw000 macrumors newbie

I purchased my current Macbook 1,1 in June of 2006 -- immediately before my senior year of college. It served me well through the end of college, graduate school, and now as a teacher. I, however, think it's about time to upgrade.

My current specs are:

2.0ghz Core Duo
    80 GB hard drive
    2 GB Ram (unfortunately, maxed out on this early model).
    Snow Leopard

Problems:

Discs get stuck in the optical drive (Had this serviced under Applecare but didn't fix the problem)
    Screen flickers (Same as above)
    Occasionally runs REALLY slowly -- when I run Onyx it seems to fix this.

Honesty, though, for the most part this is a great machine. It's still relatively quick and I am planning on keeping it even if/when I purchased a new Mac.

I will use my new Mac for the following purposes:

Grade programs, MS Office Suite, Hulu, Youtube (I love watching Pro SC matches in Korea... It's a guilty pleasure), and occasionally a game or two (but nothing new... I like Roller Coaster Tycoon and old CC Red Alert type games... Though Fable III looks pretty awesome).

Portability is somewhat important as I carry my current Macbook to and from school everyday. This model is 5.3 lbs, so I feel like I could handle anything around that weight with no problem, but wouldn't complain if I had something lighter.

Most importantly, though, is I want something that will last me another 4-5 years just as this one has.

So, with all that said...

It's either the new MB Air 13" maxed out... Or I wait for the MBP (13 or 15") upgrades in early 2011. As long my computer can hold up, I have no problem at all waiting until Spring.

Any suggestions, advice would be great. I think the MB Air could probably handle anything I am going to be using it for with ease, I just worry that the technology won't hold up for four or five years.

Thanks for your time, all.

2. macman4789 macrumors regular

I would go with the MBP 13" or 15". Both would cope fine for the next few years with what you want to use it for. However the MBP has a little bit more expandability if you ever wanted to upgrade to 8gb RAM for instance whereas the MB Air has limited expandability.