Upgrading From a Second Generation iPhone to a Third?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheBrainMcClain, Aug 21, 2008.

1. TheBrainMcClain macrumors member

TheBrainMcClain

When the third and fourth generation of iPhones come out I'll just have to upgrade, how do I go about it? Would there be a trade-in discount, or would I have to buy full price/wait until upgrade time?

2. Hudzilla macrumors 6502a

Hudzilla

:confused::confused:4th Gen iPod???
    your about 4 years too late buddy.

3. TheBrainMcClain thread starter macrumors member

TheBrainMcClain

4. Rigsby macrumors regular

It's almost a year away. You can be pretty sure the phone companies haven't decided yet, so you're unlikely to get an answer here.

5. TheBrainMcClain thread starter macrumors member

TheBrainMcClain

What I was thinking is that Apple would do the same as they did during the 1G to 2G transition, I just forgot what they did. How did they handle it?

6. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

By all appearances, Apple did what all phone manufacturers do: They charged their carriers the agreed-upon wholesale price for their phones, and then left it in the hands of the carriers to determine a reasonable retail price, and set their own rules about eligibility for subsidies based on new service contract commitments/renewals, the state of customers' past subsidies, etc.

7. The Phazer macrumors 68030

That's very unlikely.

Last time the service providers weren't subsidising the cost of the phone, so letting people upgrade before the end of their 18 month contract was no great loss to them, and they got some sales revenue from the handset and got tie people down to longer contracts.

However, with the iPhone 3G the only reason the handset was cheaper was because operators were now allowed to subsidise the phone with the contract payments, like every other handset. It's thus reasonable to assume upgrades will be treated like any other handset - you won't be allowed to upgrade until 18 months have passed from your last upgrade, unless you're willing to buy out the remainder of your 18 months contract or unless you pay a full, unsubsidised price for the phone (which will no doubt be $600+ in the US).

Phazer

8. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

9. The Phazer macrumors 68030

One of the reasons I haven't upgraded to a 3G is to keep my upgrade eligability so I can pick up the next handset which will hopefully fix more of the things I require.

Phazer

10. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

But the OP is already asking about upgrading to the 3rd and 4th gen iPhones....
    Now thats too early!

11. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

I am sure ATT will treat this iPhone just like other smartphones.

12. pj rage macrumors 6502

I suppose worst case scenario, you could cancel what's left of your contract, ebay your 3G (or whatever you have) to offset it, and then buy the 3rd generation phone as a new customer with subsidy. Do they allow this? (To break your contract and open a new one right up?)

13. The Phazer macrumors 68030

4th? Yes. 3rd? No.

Phazer

14. Rigsby macrumors regular

Maybe I'm hopelessly optimistic, but I can't see the traditional 'no upgrade until end of contract' being applied with the iPhone.

From a marketing point of view it would seem a bad move to force the early adopters to remain with an older model. Certainly here in the UK I would expect O2 to allow a break in contract for a subsidised upgrade and new 18 month contract - it might be more marginal with carriers forcing longer contract periods.