Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which Retina Macbook Pro to get?

• 13" with 512GB SDD & 8GB RAM

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • 13" with 512GB SDD & 16GB RAM

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • 15" with 512GB SDD & 16GB RAM

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters

mtruland

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2015
New Hampshire
Sometime soon, I'm planning an upgrade from my Mid2012 MacBook Air to a Retina MacBook Pro. I've been getting more into photography, and think an upgrade would be greatly appreciated. While I don't have great difficulty with processing photos on the Air, I've found that screen real estate and hard drive space are not the best.

My question is this: Should I go for a mid-range 13" retina, or should I go for the base model 15" retina?

The most compelling pro of the 13" model is the portability of the unit -- easier to travel with. Frankly, I don't travel that much, but when I do I find that I us the iPad during the flight as it is -- even opening the 13" MBA is frustrating in the tiny amount of space they give you mid-flight.

So, have at it. I'd like to hear the pros and cons of going both ways.

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
The pros and cons are pretty subjective to the user, but if you don't travel as much it sounds like you may benefit from the extra screen real estate of the 15'' model.

The dGPU in the high end 15'' model may be another option to consider if you're going to be doing serious photo/graphic work. If not, the iGPU should be just fine - and that's not to say the iGPU can't necessarily handle intensive work. It's just something more to consider.

CookedPixel

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2015
I wouldn't edit photographs on any laptop screen because they are small and about impossible to calibrate. What about purchasing a nice display for the Air? That's what I did.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.