Upgrading from an iPad 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by chaoticpinoy89, Mar 26, 2016.

  1. chaoticpinoy89 macrumors newbie

    Jan 21, 2014
    Let me start by saying this may be a wall of text and apologize in advanced. I've had my iPad 2 for 5 years now (bought it when it first came out) and it's been doing "great" for me, but it's starting to show its age. I'm keeping it on iOS 7 since iOS 8 and iOS 9 introduced less responsive interface which means I don't have access to the latest apps (Tweetbot is a good example). I use it mostly for watching Netflix, but when I first got it, I used it for web surfing, Twitter, Facebook, mostly as a consumption device. Sometimes I use Citrix to work from home as well. I see my iPad as being used more as a sitting down device on the couch instead of using my 15" rMBP.

    Here is my dilemma. With the new 9.7" iPad Pro being released soon, I'm at the point where maybe this is the time to buy a new one to future proof for another 5 years. Plus, even though, I'm not planning on buying an Apple Pencil or Smart Keyboard for awhile, the ability to get both later down the road is appealing. However, there also were pricecuts to the iPad Air 2 which also is appealing, but since it's almost 2 years old, I'm hesitant that it will last another 5.

    The way I see it I have 3 options: 1) Buy a new 9.7" iPad Pro. 2) Buy a refurbished iPad Air 2, 3) Wait and slog through using my iPad 2 and my rMBP more.

    I'm not sure which way to go especially considering I'm debating if I should get Wifi only or Wifi + Cellular even though I have a phone that I can use to tether. Also, my iPad 2 has 32GB and that's fine, but I think I would want to have 64GB for the future. Any thoughts?
  2. bufffilm, Mar 26, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2016

    bufffilm Suspended


    May 3, 2011
    Same boat is you - ipad2 on ios7. Mine's a 32gb (about 6.5gb free) and still going strong. Battery is strong as well.

    Nothing on the Air2 and Pro 9.7 that the iPad 2 can't run: email, web browsing, FaceTime, ebooks, Pandora/Spotify, etc.

    iPad pro 9.7 128gb is overpriced at $750. If a sale lowers it to $650... only then will I _consider_ it.

    In the meantime, I'm good waiting. Time is on my side.
  3. Tallgntlmn macrumors newbie

    May 14, 2011
    Same here. Have had the iPad 2 since April or May 2011. I went to update the apps on it over the weekend and 20+ are not compatible due to iOS 7. I pretty much refuse to update it because of the performance issues that iOS 9 brings. Unlike you two, my battery is showing its age. Perhaps that is due to all the darn Facebook and Twitter notifications and I should turn them off. I have a rMBP 13 for things that require a computer and a late 2012 i7 quad Mini for when i want to sit at a computer. I've been thinking of a new iPad but don't really know which model is best anymore.
  4. bufffilm Suspended


    May 3, 2011
    Recalibrate the battery to get a more accurate reading.

    And good for you to keep it on iOS 7. Apple hates customers like us!

    What size do you have and what is the free space...knowing that will help size the next iPad you get.
  5. retnuoc macrumors newbie

    Nov 10, 2014
    I am in the same boat. My iPad 2 is still running well with iOS 7.1.2 but start slowing down when using some memory/resource intensive apps.

    In my opinion, iPad Air 2 is a better option as the RAM size is same compare with iPad Pro 9.7. CPU seems not going to be an issue on iOS devices and RAM is going to be the key of future proof. Apple pencil and keyboard are expensive and it would only make sense if you really need it.
  6. bigcstyle4 macrumors 6502

    Sep 22, 2012
    I'm on an iPad 3 on iOS 9 which is even worse than the iPad 2 due to driving the Retina display. It's almost unusable at times. I ordered the 9.7" pro and I'm just hoping I don't get burned again with another 7 month release cycle :(
  7. chaoticpinoy89 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jan 21, 2014
    So after much thought, I ended up getting the 32GB 9.7" iPad Pro Wifi only. I figure since it's being released now I have more of a chance with having it last over 5 years and it would keep me from having to buy refurbished and sell each time a new device comes out (simplicity for me).

    I decided on 32GB and no cellular which included very interesting debates with myself about should I get 128GB and should I get with Cellular. My logic was this: I normally only have about 10-15GB used on my current iPad and the main reasons for needing larger storage is 1) more apps/games, 2) more pictures/videos using the camera. I don't usually use my iPad for games since I have my gaming PC and I have an iPhone 6S so that covers taking pictures/videos. That made getting the 32GB more tenable. I have a phone that I can use to tether to my iPad so spending $120 more to get that built in doesn't really make sense especially since I'll either have that phone or always be on wifi.

Share This Page