Upgrading from an iPhone 4 to the iPhone 5s today!! What to expect?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Knockworstface, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Knockworstface macrumors regular

Knockworstface

Gonna take the plunge and upgrade to the iPhone 5s from the iPhone 4. What should I expect. Anyone have any stories upgrading to the 5s from the 4? :D

2. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

3. terzinator macrumors 6502

macrumors search function works much better on the 5S.

I kid.

4. stuffradio macrumors 65816

Congrats! I'm still using my iPhone 4. I'm upgrading in September to iPhone 6!

5. Knockworstface thread starter macrumors regular

Knockworstface

That was my original plan but my iPhone 4 is quite slow on iOS 7. I need that speed! :)

6. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Expect it to overcome your girlfriend in attentions, and her to whine about it.

7. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

wayyy faster speeds & bigger screen + device speed.

8. joeluken macrumors member

I just did.

I like -

5S is faster
    Faster 3G and supports 4G
    Bigger screen
    Speaker is louder
    Touch ID
    Facetime audio/video isn't limited to wifi

Don't like -

Power button rattles
    Touch ID/Home button feels cheap makes a cheap "clack" noise
    Colour seems off i.e. yellow appears more green
    Build and material doesn't feel as robust as the 4

9. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

That's actually quite a big upgrade.

I liked the heaviness of the glass/metal of the 4/4s line. But I'm strange - I like heavier things. The new phone will be lighter with a bigger screen and you will most likely notice an increase in speed, depending on how you use your phone.

10. bushman4 macrumors 68000

Expect a lighter ,pepier, faster IPhone with better specs. Better camera more features bigger screen#####
    Also let's not forget a Personal Assistant named Siri as well as a more secure IPhone with Touch ID

11. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

If you're already on iOS7 then there will be a little disappointment. Every time I pick up a 5s it seems like more of the same but faster.

Screen size and LTE are great upgrades though.

12. JGWolven macrumors regular

I upgraded from the 4s to the 5s. I couldn't believe how much lighter it was.

13. Raffi macrumors 6502a

Raffi

The apple genius who sold you the phone will punch you in the back of the head on the way out.

14. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

This is exactly why I went for the 5c! :)

15. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

16. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

I just upgraded from the iPhone 4 to the 5S this week.

WOW!

before my phone was slightly sluggish, power consumption wasn't great and I had to turn off quite a bit of the functionality of iOS7. Then there was the Home Button not always working.

With the 5S...I get faster phone. better response, games that work fine with extreme graphics and no need to shut down a lot of apps. Touch ID which is cool (work makes us use a passcode so i can skip that). Colors that are brighter. Being able to use the "turn off apps" by flipping a lot easier. Cool camera features, Slo-Mo/Pano/ExtremeShutter...
    Also, the screen feels brighter and the icons don't seem as hideous...probably just me getting more and more used to the new iOS7 Candy Colors.

Lighter, but not as light as I expected...my wife has a iP5 and hers always felt lighter but again probably just used to it.

Better Headphones. Better connector that can be inserted anyway. The Vibration seems lighter now, I use it for Alarm.

17. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Bigger screen, much more speed .... it is an huge upgrade.

----------

iPhone 5c surely handles better than 5/5s

18. Celedral macrumors 6502

Celedral

First thing I noticed was the longer screen. Then how light it was compared to the 4s. Then eventually the SPEED!

19. Knockworstface thread starter macrumors regular

Knockworstface

No complaints so far with it for about an hour now. The speed is phenomenal. No buttons that rattle. So far so good. :)

20. The Mrs. macrumors member

The Mrs.

For me it's the other way around. He doesn't even like to hear about the awesomeness that is my golden iphone. :rolleyes:

21. mazer75 macrumors newbie

LOL where do I sign up?

22. Melissa117 macrumors member

I also upgraded from 4 to 5s. Its really a big difference. I just dont like the clicking noise on my touch id/home button. But all in all im loving my gold 5s :)

23. HoosBruce macrumors 6502a

I made the same upgrade...the speed and fluidity is unreal...plus the graphics/display is amazing...enjoy!

24. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

I had a 4s and now a 5s. I only got it because my 4s started to give me some problems otherwise I would have waited until the 6 or 6s came out.

For me, I find it just a bit faster and that is all. I know others have found far more benefits than I have and I am glad for them. My only beef which is less relevant to model but to IOS is the continued path Apple takes of form over function where text in some areas are still either very tiny or not bold enough to read easily if you don't have 20/20 or better close up vision.

My guess is you will like the 5s very much and it still remains an amazing piece of technology for the price.

25. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

Jumped 4S-5S

from what i've noticed its extremely faster, lighter, way better camera, larger screen which is AMAZING (used to be anti-bigger screen) and even feels way better in hand