Upgrading from an iPhone 5?

chekz0414

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2011
FL
Hi All I was just wondering for those of you that possibly have/had the iPhone 5 would it be a good upgrade to go through and buy an iPhone 6 now? Or should I wait until the iPhone 6s or 7? I know that currently all the iPhone 5 line and the iPhone 6 all have 1GB of RAM and relatively close clock speeds in the processor, but do the speed gains REALLY show? (Of course with both devices being on iOS 8)

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
I would personally wait unless you really dislike your iPhone 5.

If you're simply thinking of getting it to have that new toy feeling I would hold off until the 6s/6s+ Next year.

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
The iPhone 5 is still a good phone, but for me the screen size of the Plus was what enticed me to upgrade from my 5. I can't really say that the 5 feels slow under iOS 8, so I'm not sure it's worth upgrading for that reason.

Trebuin

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2008
Central Cali
The iPhone 5 is still a good phone, but for me the screen size of the Plus was what enticed me to upgrade from my 5. I can't really say that the 5 feels slow under iOS 8, so I'm not sure it's worth upgrading for that reason.
Ditto on the screen size for going from 5 to 6. I upgraded for the screen, for the increased battery life (mine was at 90%), and because the replacement almost pays for itself. I'm sure the phone will be worth a bit less next year with the 6s release.

NJHitmen

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2010
I upgraded from the 5 to the 6, largely because I felt my 5 was on its last legs...the power button was wonky, battery no longer held much of a charge (no, it didn't qualify for the replacement program), and the Lightning port was behaving oddly; frequently I'd have to insert it 5 or 6 times before the phone would register as charging (yes, I cleaned the hell out of it). I'd had it for a full 2 years, so I felt I was due for an upgrade anyway.

So given all of these things, plus the larger screen/noticeably superior camera/Touch ID etcetera, it definitely feels like a big step up. I've only had it for 3 days, so jury's still out on the OS and battery life, but I don't regret my decision one bit.

All that said, were my 5 in pristine condition and behaving as such, I may well have stuck with it. It still feels fairly snappy (certainly compared to my wife's 4) and is absolutely a solid phone. Of course tech is constantly advancing, so waiting will always yield a better/faster product, but eventually one must, uh, poop or get off the pot, so to speak. For me, that time was now. YMMV.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
both the 6 and 6 Plus is a dramatic upgrade from the 5, not even kidding at all,

you would experience

-much better battery life
-noticeably better display
-definite notice of big speed increase
-cameras are so much better both front and back
-better wifi performance
-TouchID, which by the way is beyond convinient and amazing , you will be saying: "dam every phone should have this"

and the new designs of the screen and the way they slope off the edges, like a curve, is just so much better it really is

mtneer

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2012
I have an iPhone 5 that works fine. The iPhone 6 or 6+ did not convince me that they were worth forking over several hundred dollars and give up a perfectly working phone. I am going to hold out for a year more to see what the 6S/ 6S+ bring to the table. If that jump is also not enough to convince me, I may shoot for the iPhone 7 even.

I am not upgrading beyond iOS 7.1.2 to preserve performance.

blasted11

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2014
I went from a 5 to a 6 as well. My 5 is in mint condition..not one mark/scratch/scuff/nick/etc. on it and it works like new,battery and everything else perfect.I loved it since day one and purposely skipped a generation last year in anticipation of bigger iphones coming this year....and I still decided to upgrade.
I can't begin to tell you how much I love this 6. It is the most amazing piece of technology I have had (including my new 2014 Alienware 17) For me it blows away my 5....and also now when I look at my 5 (which I'm selling) it just looks so small.
Very worth it to me. I couldn't be happier with the change.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.