upgrading from contract iPhone 6

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dhonk, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Dhonk macrumors member

I have an AT&T contract for the iPhone 6. My understanding is that the only ways to upgrade are to switch to a carrier that buys out contracts OR to outright buy a new phone, full price. Am I correct with that?

2. tigerfan41 macrumors regular

That would be correct. If you're in the US, you might also be able to do the iPhone Upgrade Program from Apple where you purchase the phone in monthly installments.

3. Dhonk thread starter macrumors member

Good news! I was calling AT&T to cancel an old iPad mini and my dad's cell phone off the plan (should have done this a few months ago). At the end, I asked, "hey is there any chance that I can get an early upgrade on my iPhone? I bought a 6 on contract last year."
    After looking into it, the contact said that by calling, I can get an exclusive deal not available in stores by switching to one of AT&T's Next plans. Even though I'm only 12 months into my previous contract, the old iPhone 6 is mine to do with as I wish (to the wife...until she's eligible to upgrade from her iPhone 5s). So I have an iPhone 6s+ on order!