Upgrading from developer preview to the new official version?

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by kayleee, Sep 13, 2014.

1. kayleee macrumors regular

1st question

since my internet isn't the fastest here...

lets say i install the DP 4 now

but when we get the official version will I have to download the whole NEW OFFICIAL file again or just the remaining part ,as an update?

what I mean is,

will the official version be a small update to the DP or will we have to download everything fresh like someone else would do , as if they were still using mavericks?

2nd question,

well i got the code and everything but I'm afraid -
    what if my hard drive fails?

so ill get a backup before i install anything

but do you think this beta could do anything wrong with my mac,like something fatal?

HELP

2. chibiterasu macrumors 6502

chibiterasu

1st question, We don't know how large the update will be.

2nd, Always back-up and if your that worried about it is in beta for a reason so wait for the full release.

3. kayleee thread starter macrumors regular

not axing how large it will be

asking what usual process of upgrading from beta to official is

4. JoelBaka macrumors member

Are you a developer? If not than I would recommend you to download the Public Beta instead of the Developer Beta. :)

As for 1, as far as I know you'll have to do it the way people with Mavericks have to. But I'm not sure so I'm curious to know too.

And for 2, well it will be highly unlikely that it will 'kill' your mac. However it can do some serious damage. Most of which you'll be able to fix but the beta, or even the official release for that matter, could make your mac go over a certain point where a small issue can suddenly really hurt your machine. Just read this and the second page on the Yosemite forum and you'll know more about the risks.

I would advice to use partitions if you are on your main mac, and indeed always make a proper backup. :apple:

5. Planey28 macrumors 6502

Beta software can't damage your hardware. There's a lot of scaremongering with running beta software on this site, but in reality the only (and very serious and real) risk is loss of data. Make sure you have everything backed up and you'll be fine.

When the GM is released next month you will be able to install it on top of your current installation.

6. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

The final version is (always I think??) a full installer and not a delta.

7. yeldarbnamdlog macrumors member

What Julien said...

Ever since the initial OS X public beta, there has never been a way to upgrade from beta/DP OS versions, to the general release, and there won't be for Yosemite.

You have two options:

1) Backup, wipe and reinstall Mavericks (Probably your best option)
    2) Continue using the latest Developer Preview or Public Beta until OS X 11 DP 1 is released.

Personally, I'd pick the first option.

8. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

She could also download it once it is released, make a USB install stick and install the OS on a clean HD. ;)

9. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

What ^ said..

Wait until its on the Apple App site, download it (Free) to the desktop, and make a USB install thumb drive, than do a clean install of it.