Upgrading from iMovie '11 to FCPX

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Fainer, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Fainer macrumors member

I am just about to give FCPX the 30 trial with full intent to eventually get it.

One of my biggest frustrations with iMove '11 is the lack of flexibility I have with titles and text on screen. It seems much of what I do is restricted to using one of the templates. I cant imagine that it does not, but for your experience how much flexibility is there in this area? I would like to see being able to have text come onto the screen and exit the screen form any angle and any direction that I desire and in more ways that just the few iMovie '11 offers.

Also, I dont think I have the need for the the "Compression" program, but I am thinking I might need "Motion". Is Motion friendly and what exactally would I use it to do?

(This is my first "non-iMove" video editor I have ever used so I am used to templates and the like.)

Thanks for your advice and help!

2. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

If you are familiar with iMovie '11 you will be at home with FCPX, although it's similar interface belies the power of the app. The first time I used it I put together a three minute free running video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLki1W9TEy4) in about 90 minutes. I've done a few projects since and remain very impressed, although it is demanding on hardware.

It certainly has plenty of control over the titles, despite starting with some similar themes to begin with. I haven't used Motion X yet - perhaps you should see what FCPX gives you before going down this route. I've used the previous version and scratching the surface took some time!

Check out some of the FCPX video tutorials at apple.com to see it in action.