Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TomFromAndroid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2019
I've browsed around and can't seem to find an answer to what I think is a dumb question: I have an iPhone SE (original version) and a iPad mini 4 which currently have iOS 15.8.2. There are several apps I'd like to add, but in each case there's a notation that the app requires iOS 16. When I go to Settings and look at Software Updates, it says that the phone (or iPad) is up to date. So how do I get iOS 16? Am I missing something obvious, or is it not possible with my older SE?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I've browsed around and can't seem to find an answer to what I think is a dumb question: I have an iPhone SE (original version) and a iPad mini 4 which currently have iOS 15.8.2. There are several apps I'd like to add, but in each case there's a notation that the app requires iOS 16. When I go to Settings and look at Software Updates, it says that the phone (or iPad) is up to date. So how do I get iOS 16? Am I missing something obvious, or is it not possible with my older SE?
15.8.2 is the latest OS that either of those devices can run. The only way to run a newer OS would be on newer devices.

Reactions: TomFromAndroid

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
iPhone 6s, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 7 - can only run up to iOS 15
iPhone 8, iPhone X - can only run up to iOS 16

You can either download the apps using a newer device or download the apps using iTunes 12.6.x on Windows
Just use the same Apple ID that you are logged in on your iPhone SE 2016

TomFromAndroid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2019
15.8.2 is the latest OS that either of those devices can run. The only way to run a newer OS would be on newer devices.
So does that mean that 15.8.2 is the last version that these devices will ever be receiving? Or will they continue with updates such as (for example) 15.x.x, and so on? 😳

Reactions: Reverend Benny

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
So does that mean that 15.8.2 is the last version that these devices will ever be receiving? Or will they continue with updates such as (for example) 15.x.x, and so on? 😳
They may get another 15.x update, but support is definitely winding down and would only be for security updates if at all. 15.8.2 was released in March 2024 and there have been several security updates for newer OSes since then so I would not be surprised if 15.x is entirely out of support at this point. Apple does not provide a roadmap confirming this one way or the other.

TomFromAndroid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2019
They may get another 15.x update, but support is definitely winding down and would only be for security updates if at all. 15.8.2 was released in March 2024 and there have been several security updates for newer OSes since then so I would not be surprised if 15.x is entirely out of support at this point. Apple does not provide a roadmap confirming this one way or the other.
Thanks. I'm scouring the Apple support site right now, and that's the impression I get. Time to splurge for some new i-Devices, I guess. (sigh)

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Thanks. I'm scouring the Apple support site right now, and that's the impression I get. Time to splurge for some new i-Devices, I guess. (sigh)
If you have somebody with an updated iOS device, you can download the app on that device with your Apple ID, and then it will allow you to install the latest compatible version, which will probably work. That’s a nice workaround that helps keep devices usable for many, many years. You don’t necessarily need the latest version.

• Love

TomFromAndroid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2019
If you have somebody with an updated iOS device, you can download the app on that device with your Apple ID, and then it will allow you to install the latest compatible version, which will probably work. That’s a nice workaround that helps keep devices usable for many, many years. You don’t necessarily need the latest version.
Wow, thanks. I do know two people (my sister and bro-in-law) who have newer iPads! 👍

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Wow, thanks. I do know two people (my sister and bro-in-law) who have newer iPads! 👍
That is a workaround that some people may not know, and it allows us to use devices that aren't updated (either because they can't or a user won't) for many, many years.

Apps that have a compatible version will be able to be installed (apps that, at one point, supported iOS 15). New apps whose original version requires iOS 17 sadly won't, but in my experience, those are such an extreme minority that it doesn't really matter. To give an example, I'm still using iOS 12 and it's okay. You're welcome!

Last edited:
  • Love

TomFromAndroid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2019
That is a workaround that some people may not know, and it allows us to use devices that aren't updated (either because they can't or a user won't) for many, many years.

Apps that have a compatible version will be able to be installed (apps that, at one point, supported iOS 15). New apps whose original version requires iOS 17 sadly won't, but in my expeirnce, those are such an extreme minority that it doesn't really matter. To give an example, I'm still using iOS 12 and it's okay. You're welcome!
👍👍

Reactions: FeliApple
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.