All iPads Upgrading from iPad 2, should I get rMini or Air?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Rhyno37, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Rhyno37 macrumors regular

Hey guys, I've noticed my iPad 2 is starting to slow down after iOS 7, and figure it's a great time to upgrade before it depreciates anymore. I'm going to sell my 2 and upgrade to the rMini or the Air. I will probably get the 16gb Wifi version of either, since that's what my 2 is and I only used half of the storage.

I will mainly use it for web browsing. Currently have a Moto X that I'm trying to trade back for an iPhone 5 (I miss my old one), and I'll have an upgrade when the new iPhone comes out, so this is a secondary device. Also toying with the possibility of a 13" Macbook Pro or Air. Also have a desktop I built.

All that being said, what do you guys recommend? Is the battery life on both the same, and how does it compare to the 2? Any noticeable differences other than size? Thanks!

2. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

In the end it all comes down to you. And what you feel is best for you, but with that being said... Given that you had a iPad 2, I'd suggest getting the iPad Air due to you have already grown accustomed to the screen real estate.

It all comes down to use cases.. If you tend to travel and value portability then go with the iPad Mini w/ Retina Display. If you value screen real estate.. Then go with the Air. You can't go wrong with either one..

I've had the iPad 2, 3, & 4... Also had the first generation iPad Mini. And since I'm so accustomed to the screen size of the bigger iPad.. I now only have the iPad Air and it suits me just fine.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The only major difference between the two is the form factor. Do you want a larger tablet or a smaller one.

The Air I think has a faster variant of the A7, but other then that, it all boils down to the size.

I prefer the smaller one but since you're coming from an iPad 2 you may want to stick with the larger version.

4. Davidsr20 macrumors member

Get a mini and u won't look back :) way more user friendly.

5. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

As people said above, it's a question of whether you prefer a larger screen size or a more portable device. In the end, it comes down to how you'll use the device, and your personal preference. Just to add though, if you typically wear a sport's jacket or carry a purse, the mini can be an extraordinarily portable device.

6. knguye11 macrumors newbie

knguye11

Since you already have the bigger screens iPads, why not try out rMini. For me after switch from iPad 2, rMini is perfect.

7. rbrian macrumors 6502a

rbrian

I spent half an hour in my local Apple store going between the iPad Air table and the iPad mini table. I loved the Air, so light and thin and fast... Until I picked up the mini, which was even lighter, just as thin, just as fast, and more portable. I could comfortably hold both in one hand, but eventually I decided on the mini, since it's more likely I'd take it with me and get it out of my bag on the train.

On the whole I prefer small in most areas of life - I live in a one-bed house, drive a Vauxhall Corsa, ride a Brompton, have a 32" waist (which I'm intending to reduce), drink stubbies. If you're an XXL kind of person, perhaps you'll prefer the Air.

8. csrini1 macrumors regular

I agree, Go with ipad air.

9. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Try out both models in the store and make a decision.

It is not really practical asking others what you should do. Each person and situation is different.

10. Rhyno37 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys, I've already been to the store once so I figured I'd get some opinions. Personally, the mini felt a bit better because of the size. Easier to use with one hand. I often find myself sitting on the couch, resting the 2 on myself. As someone already said, my only worry is that I'm too used to the larger screen. The $100 difference is nice though.

I've seen some articles mentioning that the rMini has an inferior screen in regards to the color gamut and other things. Will the typical user even notice this? Especially me, coming from a 2?

11. rbrian macrumors 6502a

rbrian

If you look at an Air and mini side by side, possibly. If you only have one with nothing to compare it against, not unless you're a professional photo editor.

12. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

It really depends on what you want. I have a 3rd gen iPad and me and my family share a 1st gen mini. I have used the mini because I'm an apple fanboy and want to experience all apple products but never really use it I love the 9.7 inch display that I'm using to type this right now. I really only play games and use the internet on it so I like it a lot. But I will say my iPad rarely leaves the house but me and my family take the mini all over the place. If I were you I would take the air but it's really about what you want from your iPad.

13. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Unless you don't want a tiny tablet.

OP. Did you like the size of the screen on your 2, if so get the Air.

14. fredylee macrumors member

Like people said. It is all up to your screen preference. I have both at home. Rmini for my kids and air for me. I played with both, and I found the extra screen size in the air is a plus.

15. snow755 macrumors 6502a

snow755

Why not get both. Tablet try them out then re turn one of them

16. JGWolven macrumors regular

An upgrade to either would be huge. I made the choice to get the Air.

17. SteelBlueTJ macrumors 6502

I also was trying to decide between the two. I ended up returning the rMini and keeping the Air. The 9.7" screen is so much nicer and has more vibrant colors. I never take my iPad out of the house so it made sense to stick with the bigger screen. I am very happy with my decision.

18. TJ5921 macrumors regular

Air

I had the original mini. First iPad I ever owned and also the first I ever even used. I sold mine about two weeks before the new iPads were announced in anticipation of upgrading. I was originally torn but ultimately decided I would use mine much more at home and wanted the bigger and (slightly) better screen!

Went with the Space Gray 32GB iPad Air w/ black smart case. Couldn't be happier. Goes great with my new Space Gray 16GB iPhone 5s w/ black :apple: 5s case.

19. mhdena macrumors 6502

Mini is no upgrade , get an air.

Unless you're one of the applets who have to have every apple.

20. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

Air all the way. You are already accustomed to the larger size so an Air would be a huge upgrade for you. I recommend against the mini because of so many display problems I've read about.

21. Avro macrumors regular

Avro

Yesterday, I bought my 3rd iPad Air in the last 8 weeks, two for my kids, one for my Mum. The Apple reseller told me that many people came in looking for the Retina Mini and walked out with the iPad Air. They were astonished by the light weight and liked the larger form factor.

22. seble macrumors 6502a

Another vote for the air here. I'm doing the same as you going from a 2 to the Air, and i've tried ti in the store. To me as a student the Air is much more practical for typing documents and things, as well as its light weight being great for holding for extended periods.
    Screw the mini! ;)

23. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

I can definitely see this. The larger Air is such a radical improvement over previous versions. The scren is larger plus it's thin and light like the older mini. I think the RMini is actually ever so slightly thicker now. For me, the Air is the best tablet made by Apple (or anyone for that matter). The previous mini had the advantage of being so much thinner and lighter than the full iPad but that's not the case anymore. I got my Air on day 1 but I've been in the Apple Store and gone back and forth between the Air and the RMini and prefer the Air no question. With the mini, all you get is a smaller tablet which is fine if that is what you are looking for. There are so many issues withe the display that I read about that I tell everyone I know to get an Air.

24. Rhyno37 thread starter macrumors regular

Just noticed BestBuy is having their open box sale with a coupon for 10% off. No cheap Airs around me, but found a rMini for $383, with coupon making it $345. Tempted to go that route, seems like a great deal. My current ipad was an open box from when I worked at Best Buy, most of them are just opened in pristine condition.

They also have a MacBook Air for $899, with coupon would be $809. SO tempting :D

25. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

You said it best right here. The mini screen is simply too small once you've ventured into the full size iPad realm. Two inches is a LOT, trust me. ;)