upgrading from ipad 2 to air 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by dakotascott, Aug 15, 2015.

1. dakotascott macrumors newbie

hey folks so ive had a second gen ipad since mid 2012, it still runs fine but it takes about 6 hours to go from 0 percent to 100 percent. i dont use it often but i use it consistently enough, especially while traveling. so my question is the feature difference enough to warrant 500 dollars to replace a still working older ipad with a newer one.

2. Analog Kid macrumors 68040

Analog Kid

I can't speak to what $500 is worth to you, but the difference between those two devices is enormous. I went from a 2 to the original Air and I can't say enough about how great it is. Faster, nicer display, so much lighter to hold, more storage... I couldn't take the bulk of a case on the 2, but the case is just fine on the Air.

That said, the family still uses the old 2 and it does it's job just fine for most things.

If you can limp through, it sounds like there are new announcements on the horizon, probably in Sept. You may want to wait and see if anything new is released.

3. Royksöpp macrumors 6502

Royksöpp

It's an incredibly fun and useful device. The screen is fab and it's quite powerful, plus it's longevity will last as long as the iPad 2 or maybe even longer. I would go for it!I promise you'll enjoy it! You can find it on sale everywhere unless your're buying from Apple.

4. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

You plan on using this one iPad for awhile I'm assuming, like what you did with your iPad 2. In that case, WAIT FOR THE AIR 3. If you use one device for a long time, you want to get it at its absolute newest. Yes, there are rumors of there being no new iPad this year, but I still think it's worth it to wait and see because we don't know anything for sure.

5. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

Bingo...if an Air3 is announced, get it. If not, then the Air2 will still be there.

I'm have a 2 also and the battery is still going strong. I suspect that the Air2 doesn'the last as long as my ipad2 when used strictly as a ereader/comic book reader which is how I use my iPad the most.

6. valinda macrumors 6502

valinda

I still have my iPad 2. I bought the iPad Air 2 64 gb about 3 weeks ago on sale at Best Buy. I am very
    happy with it despite all the fingerprints. The screen is more vivid and it's faster loading. It's a little smaller
    than the iPad 2, but it's of course lighter. I'm not worried if an iPad Air 3 might be coming because the
    Air 2 was a good jump for me.

7. fashiondgal macrumors newbie

fashiondgal

I have the iPad 2 and iPad Air 1, but two weeks ago I drop my iPad Air and the screen is a mess.
    Now I'm using the iPad 2 and I want to kill myself. :) .Takes forever to load an app. I mostly use it to read books, audiobooks and quick sketches, so I'm fine for now.

I don't know if want to replace the screen (pay $200) or buy the next iPad Air.

8. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

How bad do you need a new one? If you really want one straight away go buy the air 2 but if it’s not a major need then wait till October. Even if there is no ipad air 3 you might as well wait and see then get the air 2 if there is no 3.

9. Dino F macrumors 68020

Dino F

THIS^^^

10. Dino F macrumors 68020

Dino F

...well, I've had my iPad Air 2 for a few days now and have to say, it is one awesome device!!!

When I put it next to my old iPad 2, I wasn't even aware that the Air 2 was actually physically smaller in size so that was my very first "WOW" moment! It is 100% lighter that my iPad 2 (which seems to weigh a ton!!) and the colours on the Air 2 are SO much more vibrant - the screen is gorgeous! The sound on the Air 2 is also blimmin awesome - when I play games, the sound sounds much more bassy and seems to sound like it is in stereo (is it?)! It is also 1 million% faster at opening apps/folders with absolutely NO stutter in the animations (which my iPad 2 does ALOT!!) another "WOW" factor!

One thing I have noticed however, is that when I touch the screen, I have to make sure my finger 100% touches the screen completely before it responds. By this I mean if I touch the screen too lightly, it will not respond unless I re-tap it slightly harder. I have installed an Anker tempered glass screen protector on my Air 2 so I am thinking that it is this which is causing this issue (anyone recommend a better alternative?) so have just ordered a standard flimsy style protector instead to see if it makes a difference (which I am sure it will).

11. TRDmanAE86 macrumors 6502

TRDmanAE86

I have one question. Is it worth it to get the iPad Air 2 (64gb) when the 3 comes out so, I can get it at a bargin price? The iPad Air 2 has a fingerprint scanner and the ability to multitask with iOS 9!