iPad Upgrading from ipad 3...justified or not?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bartonjm, Apr 13, 2014.

1. bartonjm macrumors member

So, I'm thinking about upgrading from my ipad 3 whenever the next air comes out. The wife is giving me a little bit of a hard time, so I'm asking around to see if the move is justified from a hardware perspective. Without knowing the exact details of the new model, would this be a reasonable point to upgrade, or should I wait another year? I'm really just looking for advice and opinions. Thanks folks.

2. Rodster macrumors 68040

There's a performance gap between the iPad 3 and 4 and there is a significant gap between between the iPad 3 and Air. The gap will only increase with each refresh. So it's up to you when to decide to make the jump.

Best advice is to take your iPad 3 to Best Buy or Apple Store and compare it to the Air so you can see the performance difference.

3. herdnerfer macrumors 6502

I upgraded from a 3 to an Air and saw a world of difference. I'm sure it will be even greater with the next gen.

4. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

I just did that very thing, and I'm very happy I did. Is the upgrade "life changing"? No, not at all. The iPad 3 is still a great device. Heck, the iPad 1 is still useful if your needs are basic. But there is a marked performance difference between the 1 and the 3, and even the 3 and the Air. And the smaller form factor is pretty sweet too.

It really just depends on your needs whether or not it's worth it to you. I did it because I could pay in installments through Sprint's Easy Pay with no financing fees, and also because my Mother uses my old iPad 1 a lot these days, so I'm able to let her use my 3, and the better iPad should be a benefit to her.

5. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Depends on what your uses are. If you are just reading emails, simple web surfing, Movies etc; the iPad 3 will do all of these well and you keep the iPad 3 until you run it into the ground. If you go upgrade to iOS 7; you won't see app compatibility issues for at least 2 to 3 years more.

However, if you fancy gaming and graphics intensive applications; the newer iPad's offer much more than what the iPad 3 can.

You control your budget - so decide what you want to do :)

6. rkuo macrumors 6502a

The iPad Air is a nice upgrade from the iPad 3 but not entirely necessary. Unless you game a lot on the tablet, then it might be worthwhile. Or if you travel a lot and the weight is a significant factor.

7. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

The Air is already a pretty significant upgrade over the 3. The gap between the next version and the 3 should be even bigger. No idea how you can convince your wife, though. Maybe give her your iPad 3?

8. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

I personally wouldn't but that's just me. I would wait until the iPad gets a ram bump because 1gb will be the bottleneck going forward. The 3 still does and runs most things fine aside from higher graphic intensive games.

9. TouchMint.com macrumors 68000

TouchMint.com

I notice the ipad 3 is pretty good on performance but where i notice the biggest difference is the size and weight. this thing is heavy and big. also having to use 2 charging adapters isnt that fun.

10. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

Really? For me, there was already significant speed up going from just 3 -> 4 when it comes to web page rendering, etc. Granted, you don't really miss what you never had.

11. DesertEagle macrumors 6502a

DesertEagle

12. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

3 was always underpowered, heavy and slow to charge. Got a decent price for mine and got an air. No regrets.

13. campyguy macrumors 68040

I own an 32GB Air and a 64GB 3rd Gen - both with VZW data. I like the Air, but 7.1 makes the 3rd Gen very usable. I got a deal on the Air, but knowing what I do now I would have passed on the Air until the next revision comes out. Sure, the 3rd Gen is heavier, but I'm 6'7" 240# - it's not that heavy to me.

Update the 3rd Gen if you haven't already and keep your cash in the bank for a few more months.

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

My iPad 3 just about struggles with everything these days. No such issue on the Air... which is quite a bit thinner and lighter!

15. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

That's what many people say. The 3 was always that intermediate release that wasn't quite ready for prime time. Not a bad product, but not as good as it should have been.

16. Beta Particle macrumors 6502a

I was reasonably happy with my iPad 3 - but I just picked up an Air recently, and it really is a lot lighter and more comfortable to use.

It's faster too, but honestly in most apps it doesn't seem to make a major difference.
    It has been a while since I used an iPad 3 though, so perhaps I am looking back through rose-tinted glasses.

With the additional convenience of TouchID presumably being introduced with the new model, and whatever else they might improve, it does seem like it would be a worthwhile upgrade - especially if you find yourself needing more storage.

17. kristalsoldier macrumors regular

kristalsoldier

Faster yes, but i have found the Air to be smoother than even the iPad4. That plus the slimmer profile and the weight difference makes it a good buy. I am not sure the Air 2 will present anything significantly better even if it has the 2GB of RAM. Touch ID is neither here nor there. Of course, further optimization of the OS and a new OS would play a huge role.

18. RenoG macrumors 65816

if you decide to do it at the very least wait until Air2 if it aint broke, then feel swell by giving the 3 to a loved one who don't have one already and profit from the huge smile you give them.

19. steathymonkey macrumors newbie

steathymonkey

Nope! Wait to Apple ups the ram too 2Gs.

Also, Microcenter has been selling off the iPad 4 32gb, 64gb, and 128gb Wifi/Cell at extremely nice prices. I purchased an iPad 4 128gb AT&T for $440.

20. Tsepz macrumors 68000

Tsepz

I've read this a lot in multiple forums, the funny thing is that I once used the 3 when one of my uni lecturers got it, she asked me to help her with something on it, can't remember what now, but at that time I found it okay in performance, take note it barely had anything on it, I wonder how she finds it now, this was in mid 2012.

But what you've said seems to be quite common, in my experience reading around.

To the OP, I'd say sit tight and wait for the Air2 at this point, especially if you are happy with your 3, it seems like you indeed are. I think the Air 2 will be a huge leap from the 3 I'm sure, many of us are just waiting for an iPad with 2GB RAM and even TouchID.

21. rkuo macrumors 6502a

2GB of RAM would kick off the next generation of future proofing ... so yeah, that would be a big deal, actually.

22. bartonjm thread starter macrumors member

I appreciate it folks. I have noticed that my 3 struggles and seems "glitchy" especially with games. What's the likeliness the next air will have 2 gigs of ram? I wonder if the next air is just new chip and Touch ID?

23. mangomind macrumors 6502a

mangomind

It is basically confirmed that the next Air has Touch ID, a faster A8 chip, and the touchscreen feels more solid.

It is almost confirmed that the next Air is slightly thinner. Until more leaks or the iOS 8 announcement, no one knows anything else for sure.

The only information on RAM is a rumor that the iPhone 6 will stay with 1GB RAM. There is no information about RAM for the iPad. In June when iOS 8 is announced, if Apple touts iOS memory optimization, there's a strong clue that the iPad will stick with 1GB RAM.

24. AppleHater macrumors 6502a

That's exactly what I'm waiting for. I like Air but no 2GB no deal for me.

25. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Nothing is truly confirmed until Tim Cook or one of the SVPs get up on stage to announce it. Many people were convinced that iPad Air (though we were calling it the iPad 5 at the time) would have 2 GB of RAM, but nope.

That said, I think a faster chip is pretty much a given, but personally I'm not expecting any changes in form factor.