Upgrading from iPhone 3G to 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thomasp, Aug 9, 2010.

1. thomasp macrumors 6502a

I'm looking at upgrading my ageing 3G to a 4. In order to get all my text messages, app data (saved settings, data, etc), apps and all that stuff onto a new iPhone from my 3G, is it simply just a case of syncing the 3G, and then syncing the 4, or would I have to "restore" the 4 to get all the texts, etc?.

I've tried searching the forum but far too many irrelevant results were returned.

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You make a backup of your 3G (which should be done automatically when you connect to iTunes), then when you connect your iP4, you restore from a backup of the 3G.

3. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

When you first plug in your iPhone 4, just 'restore from backup' of your old 3G

4. thomasp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cool, cheers for the replies :) I wanted to check whether I had to restore from a backup or whether it was just a case of re-syncing.

Now just got to try to stop talking myself out of buying one by thinking that £900 over two years is a heck of a lot of money to spend on something!

5. FunkyGuitarGirl macrumors member

If you think about it in terms of the value it will also add to your life, then doesn't it even out. For me, the 3G has just become too slow and hinders my ability to access information that I need for work when I am on the go or travelling. So its value to me in terms of convenience, speed and access to information is actually far greater than the actual price I will end up paying for it.

6. DiamondGCoupe macrumors 6502

Worth every penny considering what it can do for you and how often you use it.